Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using this printer for several years and have never seen this problem.  Trying to print a Microsoft Word file from a Windows 10 machine using printer over home network.  Printing every other file works fine.  With this SPECIFIC file, I get a blue screen error B8A17C1E on the printer.  The blue screen flashed for less than a second, followed by the printer's screen displaying a pattern of vertical blue, white, and black stripes.  At this point, printer is completely unresponsive.  Even the power switch does not work.  Only way to recover is to unplug the printer and then plug it back in.  This error is 100% reproducible with this specific file, and ONLY when trying to print the entire document.  I tried printing this same document one page at a time, and it worked perfectly.  A Google search for HP error came up empty.  I also tried printing this file with the printer connected via USB cable, and got the same error condition.  Can anyone shed any light on what is causing this error and how to prevent it in the future?  The file did not contain any graphics or complex elements.  It was a mail merge in Word 2016 to print out envelopes for holiday cards.  As I said, printing every page, one at a time, worked fine.  Problem occurred ONLY when trying to print the entire document.  All other documents printed fine, even when printing all pages.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @steve_k1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. This seems like an issue with the app and not the printer.

Have you tried contacting Microsoft and check for a resolution? For now, let us try these steps:

Try updating the MS Word application. Refer to this document to know how to update.

If the issue persists, you may repair the application from the control panel.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

Also, check for any Windows update on the PC.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar -- With all due respect, in my 30 years of dealing with IT issues (both as an end-user and as a CIO), whenever the issue involves multiple companies, Company "A" always blames Company "B" (and vice versa) or at least wants you to take all possible troubleshooting steps with Company "B" first, before getting involved.  I see this as passing the buck.

Since the problem is manifesting on an HP printer, I respectfully request that we start with HP troubleshooting.  Specifically:

1. What is the meaning/significance of blue screen error B8A17C1E on an HP OfficeJet Pro 8720?  A Google search for "B8A17C1E" (the least granular appropriate search) does not turn up any hits (except now, my post).  Please provide information on what this error code means and what types of situations might cause it.

2. More generally, you seem to be suggesting that some data contained in the Word File might be causing this error.  Is that something that happens, even if it causes OTHER error codes on the printer?  Is that a known thing?

2a.  Assuming there is some sort of "bad" data in my Word file, wouldn't it be on (at least) one of the pages?  If so, when printing the document page by page (i.e. one page at a time), I'd expect the error to occur at some point -- when the printer tries to print the page with the "bad" data.  But that doesn't happen.  Every single page printed correctly when printed one page at a time.  The error only occurs when trying to print the entire document at one time.

Let's please try to get at the root of the printer's behavior first.  Then, if appropriate, I can try to follow up with Microsoft -- although I have not had good luck with Microsoft doing troubleshooting.  I am hoping HP will be more responsive in this regard.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@steve_k1, I understand.

As you are able to print other types of documents fine, like PDF, Excel or Webpages, this means that the printer is working fine. The issue only lies with a specific document. The document is of MS Word. Hence, I suggested contacting Microsoft as they are the developers of this application and would assist you with their application issue. 

The error code has no definition. It is unknown.

Did you try updating the Microsoft application or repairing it to check if that helps?

Did you run HP Print and Scan doctor to check if the driver is working fine?

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have verified that my copy of Microsoft Word is fully patched and up to date.  In discussing this with Microsoft support, they asked me to try printing this same document to another printer, to see what would happen.  Result:  On the other (non-HP) printer I tried, the document printed PERFECTLY.  Microsoft said that that proves it's a problem with the HP printer driver (or the printer firmware), and not a problem with Microsoft Word.

PLEASE HELP!  I cannot keep going back and forth between HP and Microsoft!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@steve_k1

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.