Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I believe the blue ink cartridge is not printing.  I printed a color document, and the colors are more pink-ish than they should be.  I printed a Print Quality Diagnostic page, and I see black, cyan and yellow, but no blue.  (I also looked for a sample page on the internet to compare to a perfect report, but didn't see one that was formatted like mine.)  I found a support page that instructed me to select Setup (the gear icon), select the Printer Maintenance menu and then there were further instructions, but when I choose Setup on the printer control panel, I see icons along the top, 2 tabs below the icon list labelled "Schedule" and "Info".  The Schedule tab lists "Printer Apps Not Scheduled" and "Update Printer Apps".  I updated the printer apps, but that did not make any additional options appear on the Setup screen.  (I did find the Printer Apps somewhere else when I was looking around, but I still haven't found either a "Printer Maintenance" selection or an option to clean the printheads.)  I did find several pages explaining how to manually clean the printheads, but I was hoping to try the electronic method first.

I have also found several answers telling me to select an option from the Setup screen, but I don't see any of the recommended options on my Setup screen.

Will you help me find the menu that will tell my printer to clean the printheads? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After the first printhead cleaning didn't work, I noticed the message on the printer control panel saying to try again.  A second printhead cleaning got it started again.  So, for now, I'm all set.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Ok.  I found out how to get to the Printer Maintenance menu.  Apparently, I hadn't actually made it to the Setup screen.  I had to select the gear icon again, and then I was able to find the Printer Maintenance menu and clean the printheads from the menu.

Sadly, this did not solve the problem and the printout from the cleaning also shows no sign of blue ink.  This is a recently installed InstantInk cartridge, and I have a printout from a few days ago that clearly indicates the blue cartridge was working properly then (Jan. 29).

Recommendations?

HP Recommended

@dswinnh

Greetings and Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps to resolve the issue. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Have you checked you HP Instant Ink account page? Your Instant Ink account page will have shipment notifications and tracking link. You may log in to your HP Instant Ink account page from here.

If the suggested information can't be found, please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After the first printhead cleaning didn't work, I noticed the message on the printer control panel saying to try again.  A second printhead cleaning got it started again.  So, for now, I'm all set.

HP Recommended

@dswinnh

That's great. Happy to hear that. 

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My HP officejet pro 6968 is not printing or showing blue ink when I make a copy.  I have tried all the solutions mentioned and still no blue ink. 

HP Recommended

@Hcraft

Welcome to HP support community.

Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Open the cartridge access door

3. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

4. Press the tab inward on the front of the old ink cartridge to release it, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Pushing the ink cartridge inward and then pulling up to remove it

5. Examine the vent area above the HP logo on the top of the ink cartridge.

Image: Examine the vent area on the top of the cartridge

6. If the ink cartridge still has the orange pull-tab attached, pull to remove it.

Image: Remove the orange pull-tab

7. If the vent is clogged, use a straight pin to gently remove excess adhesive from the vent.

Clogged vent
    2. With a straight pin, gently remove excess adhesive from the vent

3. Unclogged vent

8. Turn the ink cartridge so that the ink cartridge contacts face downward, and then match the label color with the color dot on the carriage.

9. Slide the ink cartridge into its slot, and then gently press the ink cartridge down until it snaps into place.

Reinserting the ink cartridge

10. Repeat these steps to inspect the vents on each of the ink cartridges.

11. Make sure each ink cartridge is firmly installed in its slot. Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to feel for any that are protruding, and if any are, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.

12. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Closing the ink cartridge access door

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same issue for the Officejet 7110 printer that blue colour not printing , I replaced new ink and I did alignment and cleaning process, but still, the issue was not solved. And finally, i tried to update this printer firmware and now it is started working.😀

Shemi

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues with my OfficeJet Pro 6970 series printer. I have tried all of the alignment, smear cleaning, and printhead cleaning, however my printer is still not printing cyan ink. I replaced the carriage with a brand new one, but still no luck. 

Any recommendations? I am a teacher and desperately need to be able to print blue ink. My printer is only three years old. 

HP Recommended

How did you update the software?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.