Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
OS X

After purchasing an Officejet Pro 8620, with the promise of this feature advertised, I am disaapointed to find that booklet printing appears impossible from the Mac printer driver downloaded. The menu shows "Booklet" greyed out under the "two-sided" drop-down choices in the Layout section, but no combination of settings seem to render it active. Booklet printing is mentioned in the manual under Windows settings, but not Mac. Can this feature, indispensable for me, be activated, and if so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JAC_330,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

From much of my research, I was starting to think I was going crazy and that wasn't an option on the Mac, but I think I found the issue. The Booklet option you're seeing that is greyed out appears to be due to the HP driver.

If you install the printer using the AirPrint driver (first bullet under #4) you should then be able to select that Booklet option. I was able to see it using the AirPrint driver in TextEdit.

Does that change anything? Let me know and we'll go from there 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @JAC_330,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

From much of my research, I was starting to think I was going crazy and that wasn't an option on the Mac, but I think I found the issue. The Booklet option you're seeing that is greyed out appears to be due to the HP driver.

If you install the printer using the AirPrint driver (first bullet under #4) you should then be able to select that Booklet option. I was able to see it using the AirPrint driver in TextEdit.

Does that change anything? Let me know and we'll go from there 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much -- the "booklet" menu selection is active and automatic booklet printing works !

Will there be any consequences to using the Airprint driver instead of the 8620 one? Will any features be unavailable?

HP Recommended

That's wonderful!

No, to be honest, I don't think there is anything that you won't be able to do with the AirPrint driver, printing wise. You'll need the HP driver to scan but that's it 🙂

Thanks for letting me know that was the fix so I can pass this along to others!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I'm pleased to see this post about booklet printing. I had been able to print this way, on a Mac and HP 8620, but then facility seems to have disappeared. But now I remember for some reason a few months ago I had a scanning glitch and reinstalled the printer. Perhaps I used the 'wrong' driver? But my question is this. Besides normal and double sided printing, the TWO features I use the most are Scan to Computer and Booklet. I have a feeling the scanning is only available if you install using the HP Driver, the latter only if you use AirPrint. Is this right? Do I have to choose? Any advice welcome please. 

HP Recommended

I have an HP 7740 and just can't get it to booklet print. Spent a couple of hours with HP Support which was a waste of time.

HP Recommended

@Kiwi_10-

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you are unable to print booklets with MacOS,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Does this mean it prints on windows or other OS?

Does everything else apart from booklets print fine?

Did you perform the steps listed on this thread as it seems to have helped others?

While you respond to that, try the steps below:

1. To avoid page ordering issues, load enough blank paper into the input tray to fully complete your print job. The printer prints the front side of the paper first. Load the paper with the top edge first and the print side facing down.

2. Open the document that you want to print, click File, then click Print.

If no settings display, click Show Details.

3. Select the name of your printer in the Printer menu.

4. Click the box next to Two-Sided, then select Layout from the unnamed menu at the center of the window.

NOTE:

If the Two-Sided option does not display, your printer does not support automatic duplexing. Use the manual duplexing steps in this document to print.

Figure : Select Two-Sided and Layout in the Print window

Select Two-Sided and Layout in the Print window
  5. From the Two-Sided menu, select a setting depending on if you want to read the document as a booklet or a tablet.

Figure : Example of booklet and tablet style

1. Booklet style

2. Tablet style

• For booklet reading, select Long-Edge binding (portrait orientation) .

• For tablet reading, select Short-Edge binding (landscape orientation) .

Figure : Select a Two-Sided printing orientation

Select a Two-Sided printing orientation

NOTE:

If you want to keep these settings for future print jobs, click the Presets drop-down menu, select Save Current Settings as Preset, then name it.

6. Click Print.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.