Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjest 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I use my HP 2540 for home use. I was printing a number of bank statements today and ran out of ink in the process, so I rushed out to buy more. My printer takes cartridge number 301, which I have been buying for a long time. In my haste at the store (tesco), I picked up the double pack (black and tricolor) number 300 instead of 301. I opened the packet and put both cartridges in my printer and continued to print. But when I tried, the computer flashed an 'ink not compatible' notice. 

As they are opened, I cannot return them to Tesco. But the cartridges have not been used at all. I noticed that HP helped another person in August of 2016 on this forum with a similar issue, so I am hoping someone can help me with this. The double pack cost me 35euro, so I cannot waste it. I don't need a refund, I just need to exchange them.

Thank you

Jess

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@11156305

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you purchased the incorrect ink cartridge from Tesco.

I request you to contact HP phone support to check regarding the exchange.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I have made the same mistake in buying the wrong ink at John Lewis - 300 instead of 301. So i was very thankful when I found this thread and called the HP contact centre. 

However there was no help being given whatsoever, as I just wanted to know if there was a possibility to exchange the product. The individual on the phone offered no help and told me to take it up to the retailer even after I explained the situation. 

I think that this is a bad service, as the printer cartridge has not been used at all and it was an honest mistake.

Lisa

HP Recommended

Hello, @Lisa1304

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, my printer told me over my phone that it was it of ink, and it identified the printer as a 2600 series. So i bought the 300XL for the 2600, only to find upon fitting it that it's a 2630 printer which needs a 304. The really frustrating thing is that it's exactly the same size so there's no reason it shouldn't work but of course it refuses. 

And yet now I'm £40 down because the app didn't just tell me what cartridge i needed and John Lewis won't take it back as it's been opened. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.