Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2600

Hello,

I have been trying to set up a new HP DeskJet 2600 printer. I have figured out that the supplied 'setup' cartridges weren't correct - the colour one is the correct 304 setup cartridge, but for some reason the black cartridge is a regular 301 cartridge (which the printer refuses as incompatible).

So I thought no problem, buy a replacement black HP 304 cartridge. Now the printer refuses this one because it is not a setup cartridge! I have done all the recommended procedures found online (reset printer, clean contacts, update firmware etc). However I have seen on other forums discussing the same issue that there is a way to bypass this setup error. For whatever reason this solution was never shared publicly and always emailed in private.

Please can you tell me how to bypass this restriction - the cartridge is a legit HP compatible cartridge and it is frustrating not being able to print important documents, I need access to the printer ASAP. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, 

The  printer would need SETUP cartridges ( Black and Tri Color ) to initialize. If either one of the SETUP cartridges are missing, then the printer would not go with initialization process hence will always be prompting to install the SETUP cartridge. Which is very evident in your case.

The best option is to RETURN the printer to the retailer/store from where you purchased. 

However check your INBOX by clicking the ENVELOPE icon on top right of this window to try few steps. 

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello, 

The  printer would need SETUP cartridges ( Black and Tri Color ) to initialize. If either one of the SETUP cartridges are missing, then the printer would not go with initialization process hence will always be prompting to install the SETUP cartridge. Which is very evident in your case.

The best option is to RETURN the printer to the retailer/store from where you purchased. 

However check your INBOX by clicking the ENVELOPE icon on top right of this window to try few steps. 

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.