Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

2 weeks ago this printer started making an awful loud noise. Still printed ok but made a noise when selecting print and afterwards.

Checked for obstructions.

Powered off, left off for while and rebooted.

Removed ink cartridges. Replaced ink cartridges.

Slid carriage all the way in both directions to check everything is moving freely.

None of the above worked so just put up with the noise.

Today it's stopped printing. It takes the paper in, starts feeding through and then stops. The display says printing but it doesn't progress just sits there.

Help please!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Crusher66,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to copy or scan.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the exact model for your printer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 
  2. Remove USB cable, if present. 
  3. Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge. 
  4. Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer. 
  5. Turn on the printer and wait till the warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you continue facing the issue, update the printer firmware following the steps in the below article.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

I put the exact model of the printer in the heading. It's a C4680

It's specifically printing that I'm having an issue with.

I have followed all the steps you suggest already and gone through all the steps with the HP Scan and Print Doctor.

I've just tested the scan facility and that is working fine. 

So what would you recommend next please?

HP Recommended

I also followed the firmware link earlier this morning. I have saved to my PC but not sure if it's actually downloaded and run. 

HP Recommended

also, no I've run the Print Scan Doctor when I go through the identify device section it comes up with 2 my HP Photosmart C4680 and HP ePrint JetAdvantage. I have no idea what the 2nd is. I only have one printer. 

HP Recommended

@Crusher66,

I recommend you root uninstall the printer and then reinstall it and check.

Here is how it is done.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the steps as you advised. Uninstalled printer and drivers. Rebooted. Reinstalled.

Still won't print. Item stuck in queue and forever saying printing....

HP Recommended

@Crusher66,

The HP Print And Scan Doctor might get this sorted out

Please download and run the HP Print And Scan Doctor from this Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Also, try using the HP Smart App and let me know if that helps. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03561640 for more information on HP Smart App

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please see above - already downloaded an run the Print and Scan doctor. Identified printer, clicked test print. Nothing. Still stuck in print queue.

HP Recommended

Have also downloaded recommended updates through the scan doctor. This is so frustrating. I can't be without my printer. I was low on ink so recently bought spare cartridges so really don't want to have to scrap it and buy another now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.