Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
C5280 Photosmart Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like so many others, I now have Two (2) C5280 Printers, with the same Problem - Error Message reports Fake Paper Jam.

The Cause of this is related to a Broken Clutch Drive Gear, on the Right Hand Side of the Printer. I have obtained Replacement Plastic Gears and I have pressed One (1) onto the Shaft and set it all up again. I am still getting the same Error Message and I feel that the Gears are not Timed correctly, as the Large White Gears, with a Scroll in its face, is not being engaged, by the Clutch Gear, therefore the Ink Cartridges are not being raised for Replacement.

Does anyone who has worked on these Printers know of a Procedure for setting up these gears, so that they do waht they are intended to do.

Thank You.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Nasho53

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

I understand your concern. However, as this is a hardware failure with the printer, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

To resolve a paper jam issue, kindly refer to this document.

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same broken gear assy, the message I got was " carriage jam" found the gear stripped out on shaft and also cracked, tried to glue to no avail, where did you obtain the new gear from and was it exactly the same as the ones I've seen on eBay do not have raised sides to the centre gear so that means they will not sit central in the clutch assy, was yours like these and does it work ok, as for yours being re-timed I don't think it matters, what I think causes the problem is dried ink in all the cartridge rest housing assy, I took mine out completely and washed out all of the dried ink, also found the paper drive roller assy sticking so cleaned and greased up the sliding parts, just need a new gear now

As for HP support they are a complete waste of time no spare parts all the seem to want to do is sell you a new machine🤔😡

HP Recommended

Hi Nick-D, I obtained my Replacement Gears from China - from EBay Seller ALLMY - 40 ( 5 Clutch Gear 15T Carriage Lock for HP). The Cost, incl Tax was $14.10.

Firstly remove the whole Ink Box Assembly from the Printer Engine ( Two (2) Screws on top of Print Head Carriqage. Before removing the Ink Box Assembly, have a good look at how it engages builtin locators and where the Inner End of the Shaft Assembly goes into a Hole.

Remove the Entire Shaft Assembly from the Ink Box Assembly.

Open up the Black Plastic Gear Cage and put the Inner Side of the Cage back onto the Shaft, before pressing the Gear into place.

I used my Bench Vice to push the Gear onto the splined Section of the Shaft. I used a very small diameter socket to go over the shaft, when pushing the gear onto the shaft.

Reassemble the Gear Cage and put the Stainless Steel Security Clip back in Place.

Place the Shaft Assembly back into the Cleaned Ink Box Assembly.

Put the Ink Box Assembly back onto the Printer Engine and make sure that it engages all Locators, before replacing the Two (2) Screws.

Test the Shaft Assembly by pushing it in and out - The Cage Leg Slot should be engaged on the Lower Pin.

Now all should work.

I agree with you that HP Support Services are Shocking.

Thank You,

Owen Carlton.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.