Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
C5280 All in One Photosmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just revived an old C5280 Printer, which had a Broken Clutch Gear - Replaced the Gear. I obtained the Gear from China. This brought the Printer back to life. Serial # [edited]

I fitted a new HP 75 Tri Colour Ink Cartridge and a Compatible 74XL Black Ink Cartridge. I printed a couple of Test Pages successfully - No issues.

I then installed it in my Office.

When I next needed to use it, it displayed a Message (Refer Printer Documentation - which is useless. So I did some testing.

I installed an old HP 74 Black Ink Cartridge and all was well - no messages - this old 74 was very low on ink.

So I re-installed the Compatible 74 XL and the Message returned.

It appears that the Printer is recognizing this as a Non HP Cartridge and will not allow its use.

I have read that HP had brought out a Firmware update (Sept 13 2016) for the purpose of blocking the use of Compatible Cartridges - there was a Customer Uproar so they revised the Firmware update in Oct 12 2016, without apology. They did not provide a List of Models affected. My Firmware is NExxFN0713AR and Patch = 0.

It is very disappointing that one cannot actually speak to a Tech at HP anymore - Disgusting in fact.

My Software and Driver is the latest available at HP. In fact it was only installed about two (2) weeks ago, after Gear Repair.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue of HP trying to force consumers into using HP Highly Priced Cartridges, which is not a legal Practice.

I hope someone can assist, as this is the Best Multi-use Printer I have ever had and it is a shame that HP has now discarded it and offers no Support or Spare Parts for it.

Thank You in Anticipation of advice.

Owen Carlton

[Personal Information Removed]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Nasho53

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

This is not Dynamic security enabled printer. there is no firmware available for this printer.

Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016 dynamic security will not be enabled by the firmware. Please note that HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges.

refer to this document to know the affected printer -Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Cartridges Using Non-HP Security Chip

I suggest you contact the cartridge manufacturers.

Hope this helps! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.