Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C7180
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Problems with "black" on C7180

Working ok:

Colour photocopy - reasonable

Black photocopy -  reasonable

Problems:

1. Clean printhead page generated from HP toolbox on computer - black letters only printing about 1/3 of the height of the letter. 1/3 printing ok. other 2/3 small streaks where the other parts of the letters should be.  Colour squares print ok.
  2. Clean printhead page generated from printer - only black text but sort of ok except for top of first line. Not sure why there is no colour on this page.
  3. B&W Pdf print from computer - good. Note print Pdf is set to "print as image"
  4. B&W text print from Word - no good if fast/economical print. Reasonable (bit light) if use general/everyday.  Was working ok in fast/economical until recently.
  5. Test page from HP toolbox on computer - same page with same problems as 2 above.
  6. Diagnostic page from HP toolbox on computer - Page 1, Large letters good, generally all good. Page 2, diito BUT in the print quality pattern test "black" is not black but a grey green colour with evenly spaced horizontal streaks. Other colours good. 

6 above may give the best clue as to the problem. But I am not sure what the problem is. I have tried cleaning the black cartridge contacts on the printer with tape head cleaner fluid but not sure if this was successful or this is the problem.

As above there are some instances where I do get reasonable reproduction in black. But clearly there are problems as described above.

Help will be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Looks like a printhead ( black nozzles) problem. When printing pdf as an image printer uses all 6 colours to mix black and the colours mixed compensate (cover)  missing sections in black nozzles (those lines in the black square on the 2nd page of the diagnostic print sheet).

Try cleaning cycle again (don't force too many cleaning cycles) one cleaning per day leave printer unused after cleaning, check for improvement in quality the next day.

If the issue isn't resolved you can increase print quality in the print driver or program (MS Word) settings. In this scenario, the printer will also use colours to print black and your print should be fine. Print speed will be slower.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Please scan printed Diagnostic page from HP toolbox and post here so we can see the result.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi Valsimot

Thanks for your response.  See Diagnostic Report below

Diagnostic1.jpgDiagnostic2.jpg

HP Recommended

Looks like a printhead ( black nozzles) problem. When printing pdf as an image printer uses all 6 colours to mix black and the colours mixed compensate (cover)  missing sections in black nozzles (those lines in the black square on the 2nd page of the diagnostic print sheet).

Try cleaning cycle again (don't force too many cleaning cycles) one cleaning per day leave printer unused after cleaning, check for improvement in quality the next day.

If the issue isn't resolved you can increase print quality in the print driver or program (MS Word) settings. In this scenario, the printer will also use colours to print black and your print should be fine. Print speed will be slower.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.