Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

When a color planes are not properly aligned on the printed page, a misalignment or color plane registration can occur.  For the CP1515, you should perform a NVRAM reset by 1-power down the printer, 2-hold the left arrow and job cancel button in while the printer powers up,3-when the display will say-Permanent Storage init-release teh buttons,4- allow teh printer to come ready.  Once that has occurred, please recalibrate the printer by teh following steps;

Follow these steps to calibrate the product.
  1. Open ToolboxFX .

2. Windows XP: Click Start ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click your product, and then click HP Color LaserJet CP1510 Series ToolboxFX .
  3. Windows Vista: Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click your product, and then click HP Color LaserJet CP1510 Series ToolboxFX .
  4. Click the Device Settings folder, and then click the Print Quality page.
  5. In the Color Calibration area, select the Calibrate Now check box.
  6. Click Apply to calibrate the product.
    NOTE:Calibration might take two to three minutes. Do not turn the product off during calibration.
  7. When calibration ends, try printing again.

8. If the issue is resolved, stop troubleshooting.
  9. If you are still experiencing print quality issues, repeat steps 1 through 5 in this solution. You can recalibrate the printer as many as three times. If, after three calibration attempts, you are still experiencing print quality issues, see the next solution.
    A document that covers this can be found by searching the HP site by a key word or by this doc id # c01177917.

(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Thank you for showing me how I could do the calibration without having Toolbox FX.  I have done the color calibration thru the printer menu several times now, probably 5-7 times, and also done cleaning a couple times just in case it would help, and it's not made any difference.  Do you have any other suggestions as to what might correct the shadowing in the color printing?  It printed very well until the shadowing started, seemingly when I installed a new yellow cartridge (HP) about 9 months ago.  Could one bad cartridge cause this entire problem?

HP Recommended

Hi

I had the same issue.

After replacement of the black cartridge a very bad alignment. No solution with several calibration runs.

All color cartridges had a low fill level around 10-15%.

The solution in my case was to replace all color cartridges too!

Hope it helps!

HP Recommended

I've got the exact same problem: the colors are out of sync.

I went through calibration more than 7 time and it did not help. I've spend a fortune in new cartridges and it did not help.

What kind of engineer programmed this firmware. How come there isn't a manual mode for setting it right again.

a few month ago my hp monitor 23xi that was just over 1 year old just died. HP sais no waranty!

Now it's the laser printer.... I though with a laser printer you will never have problems of the inkjet nozes drying, but in fact it is no better..... HP is crap....never ever buy HP again.

HP Recommended

There is no fixing this problem.  I tried everything HP said as well as several forums, only wasting time and money.  Learn from my mistake chasing a fix that doesn't exist and cut your losses.  Just recycle the printer and go get another (non HP).  Like my new Canon Color lbp 7110cw a lot.

HP Recommended

My problem was that different coloured lines were out of alignment e.g. red line was below black line.  I did the following three steps, and the problem  was fixed. 

A. Manually reseated each toner cartridge (removed and pushed firmly back into place).

B. Followed procedure below for a NVRAM reset
For the CP1515,  perform a NVRAM reset by 1-power down the printer, 2-hold the left arrow and job cancel button in while the printer powers up, 3-when the display will say-Permanent Storage init-release the buttons,    Answer the questions about language and location.     4- allow the printer to come ready.  After powering  off/on once or twice, my printer ran calibrate by itself.

C. Ran HP Print and Scan Doctor (see below)
Then the problem was fixed !!!!

================================================
HP Scan and Print Doctor
The automatic solutions and instructions provided by HP Print and Scan Doctor can be very effective for resolving many types of printing and scanning problems. HP Print and Scan Doctor is easy to use and comes with its own instructions. To learn more about HP Print and Scan Doctor, see Using Print and Scan Doctor to Help Resolve Printer Issues (Windows).
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

=====================================================

NB My problem may have resulted from replacing the pickup roller and separation pad because paper feed kept jamming.  If you are interested in replacing these items then search for CP2025 on YouTube.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.