Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5660

I've been able to print photos from my phone's camera roll onto plain letter paper from the printers main tray since I purchased the printer over a year ago. Tonight, my printer wouldn't allow me to print the photos because the photo tray was empty. Well, it's always been empty and photos would just print from the main tray using standard paper. How can I switch back to that? I haven't changed anything and this just started.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kare4kiddos

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which phone do you have? Do you get any error messages?

Let's try to reset the Printer here:

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

1. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Also, try connecting the Printer to a different wall outlet directly.

Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly

This error can occur if the printer trays are installed incorrectly. Make sure the printer is located on a flat surface, and then make sure the photo tray moves smoothly within the paper tray guides.

1. Make sure the printer is positioned on a flat surface.

2. Push in the output tray extender.

3. Pull out the input tray, but do not remove it.

Image: Pull out input tray

4. Remove the output tray.

Image: Remove the output tray

5. Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly, and that the photo tray guide tabs (grey) are sliding beneath the main tray guides (black) on both the left and right side of the input tray.

Image: Photo tray properly functioning

Image: Tabs outside and inside guide rails

If they are not in the correct position, gently move the photo tray to align the tab gaps, and then gently press the tabs back into position.

The photo tray should move freely with no resistance.

6. Reinstall the output tray, and then make sure the edges line up with the input tray.

Image: Line up the edges

7. Try to print.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an iPhone and so does my daughter (different models) and it didn't work from either of our phones. I'm wondering if it was printing incorrectly all along and a bug just got fixed because I did find a forum where people were complaining about photos printing from main tray. Which is exactly what my printer did before except I was fine with that. So frustrating.

HP Recommended

Hi @Kare4kiddos

Thanks for replying. To better assist you - 

1.) What's the iOS version installed? 

2.) Are you trying to print from AirPrint or HP Smart app? 

3.) What's the size of the photo paper? 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.