Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5032
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought a HP Envy 5032 to replace a Deskjet D5560 (connected via WiFi) and a Scanjet 4800 (connected via USB).

The necessary drivers were downloaded from HP's website.

I can get printing and scanning to work with USB

I can get it to print with WiFi but only by manually installing a profile in WIndows.

The option to convert the USB connection to WiFi claims to work but when I check the printing nothing happens,

It is possible to see the webpage of the printer in my browser and all seems to be well.

Scanning only works via USB, poor quality but that is another problem.

My impression is that something has gone very wrong with the WiFi install - any ideas what to do ?

UPDATE:

Within minutes of this post I received an email to call a toll free USA number.

I did, seems to be a HP associate or so claimed. however after a brief conversation, I was told that the problem was my Windows system and not my new HP printer. Therefore to fix it would require technical suipport that would cost money.

I said, thanks but no thanks - this is either a very clumsy HP form of "support", or a scam - so beware

How I solved the probem (I think)

• The solution seems to be to make sure there are no legacy HP programs on your windows system
  • Then to run the "HP smart" app and follow its instructions.
  • What is needed is a device driver with HPF8D9 in the name - that is very important. it seems to be a WSD driver
  • Disconnect USB.
  • Connect the printer (HP Envy 5032) via the local LCD onto your home network via WiFi, needs the SSID and PW, 
  • Power the printer off and then on.
  • You can check your printer via your browser, that should work fine but there are no printer/scanner drivers installed, NOTE: Ignore Chrome' (if using that the HP 5032 has faulty certificates and is untrustworthy, I assume you are running it on your home network. This is caused by HP only using self signing certifciates which are no longer regarded in the industry as reliable.
  • Now do the following steps.......

The recovery steps

Only do this if you feel comfortable dealing with hidden system folders/files

STEP1 - uninstall (legacy) HP programs including the stuff that has just been installed (for the 5032).

STEP 2  remove legacy HP data and programs in the Windows, Windows 32 and Users/name/AppData (hidden system files) folders.

STEP 3 - reboot

STEP4 - download 'HP Smart' from Microsoft store, you will need a Microsoft account to do this, it is not available direclty from HP, if you want it in English make sure to remove any other langauge except English in your Windows Systems settings, they can be reinstalled later.In my case HP Smart would only appear in French, go figure.....

Step 5 - run HP Smart

STEP 6 - it will select and install the entire HP suite of printer programs and drivers, let it do that. you can uninstall anything you don;t want later, there will be about 10 programs installed everything from Dropbox, SMTP email you name HP has it, some photo programs etc.

STEP 7 - select the printer  in HP Smart and let it do what it needs, follow the instructions carefully, I kept HP Smart open and the Windows System screen for Printers open at the same time to monitor progress.

STEP 8 select the printer function in HP smart print a test page

STEP 9 select the scanner in HP smart and scan a page

NOTE: steps and 8 & 9 seem to trigger or complete in some way the setup but I can't be sure.

I don;t use the HP scanner software that comes with the 5032 for WIndows, it looks nice but lacks OCR and there does not make PDF readable files, I use NAPS2 free software for scanning and making reading PDF's, but NAPS2 needs to see t he drivers installed by HP i.e. the HP HPF8D9, which recognises the 5032 as having two functions. 

Everything seems to work after that.

The SW / Driver package from HP (all 128 MB of it) simply does not work reliably when trying to install a wireless scanner link, and I tried that on a second Windows machine ((Windows 10, 32 bit in this case) with similar dismal results.

The whole affair took more than 6 hours and a lot of frustration.

HP make it far too complicated and lose sight of the need to for a simple driver installation.

Hope this helps others.

Further update and somewhat off topic it is about a Mac.

I setup the system to work on a MacBook (OS), the printer was almost automatic and took about 5 seconds, nothing needed to be installed. The scanner needs the program "HP Easy Scan" from the Apple store, took about 10 seconds including download. The scan program produced a razor sharp PDF which is even readable, the Mac system from HP has OCR built in.

The way it should be.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.