Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have had this printer approximately 2 years and it has been great, its a little worker! Over the last couple of weeks the driver seemed to have a funny on my laptop and so I uninstalled it and installed it (it stopped printing in colour and there was no option to change it back to colour until I deleted every single bit of it from my laptop and reinstalled from windows printer wizard)

Now I can thankfully print in colour again (I was very stressed as I use this for my business) but now it saying there is an error and I cannot print A4 borderless. It says there is a conflict and I have to amend either the size of paper or change to borderless off. I have ALWAYS been able to print to A4 card borderless as I print invitations for my business. So not sure why all of sudden I am no longer able to print borderless. I have changed each paper setting to photo paper and nothing makes a difference. 

As I said I have had this printer for about 2 years ands it a great machine and I use HP instant ink which is also fantastic for my business but I really need to print borderless!! 

I have read many posts on here and the replies always seem to be robotic (as in not reading my full post and actually seeing that I could do this before and it has suddenly stopped doing it after I had to fix the printing colour problem that is also happening a lot!) 

I really need this fixing for my business asap please. I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of deleting the driver again as I am worried the colour option will disappear again (I tried to download it from here but it still didn't work)

Thanks for any help 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@khaosandink 

In so much that I am aware, we do not have any robots answering posts.  Admittedly, having answered many posts in a short period, we might start to sound as if we are not paying attention.  Sometimes you just get the best we have to offer and that is not "good enough".  An imperfect system.  Smiling.

The issue you are facing is likely :

• Corrupted driver installation - and No, I won't tell you to remove and install the software, though, at some point down the road, it might be necessary.  NOTE:  If reinstallation does become necessary, you will want to remove every scrap of the printer software before (re)installing it.  This is not the normal "uninstall", but it is not difficult.  I will not post it here; this message is already too long.
  • An ill-matched settings combination that is a result of missing settings, settings chosen in the wrong order (that can actually be a thing), or settings that would work if they were just the "preferred" setup.

In general, most of what you can do about the settings is controlled in the software you use to set up and present the job to the printer.

A couple of places to check:

The Specifications do not show A4 as a supported size for "borderless" printing - not on plain paper and not on photo paper.  Discussing whether the printer has been doing this is pointless, though it does mean that anything I suggest cannot be verified with the documentation.  I might have missed something, after all.

In general, the Specifications include what the printer can do:

• Plain Paper in size A4 is supported (though not indicated for borderless)
  • Photo Paper is not supported in size A4 (borderless or otherwise)
  • Card Paper - Index is supported in A4 (though no indication whether borderless is supported on this Media type)

There is indication that the Printer supports Custom Sizes, though, I cannot verify that this is the case.  I am not aware that using a Custom Size form has any impact on borderless printing.

The easiest method I know to check / set / and (possibly) print borderless is to use HP Smart for Windows.  There is still some chance for error, of course, but the places to check and adjust the settings are fairly straight forward.

HP Smart – The “Smart” New Printer Application for Windows 10

Looking for the HP Smart Application for Windows 10?

Getting “smarter” all the time, the HP Smart App provides all the print environment and setup you need to use your printer.

1. Add your printer to your network.
  2. Download and Install HP Smart for Windows.

How-to

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer

Check the Box Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

Windows key > All Apps > scroll down to category H > click on HP Smart

HP_Smart_Start_Screen_IconHP_Smart_Start_Screen_Icon

Optional: Right-Click on the application to Pin to Start and / or Pin to Taskbar

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Example - HP Smart - Borderless Print

NOTES

• Not all printers support Borderless
  • Not all printers support all paper sizes
    Not all printers support every paper size with all Media types (kind of paper)

Basics

• Open software
  • Select to Print Photos
  • Navigate, find, and select a photo to print
  • Adjust settings
  • Click More Settings 
  • Select a "shortcut" for printing photos
  • Make any additional changes - Click OK to exit the More Settings menu
  • Click to print

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1

The trick is to find a combination of settings in the software and in "More Settings" that gets you what you want.

If you do get it figured out, save the settings as a Custom Shortcut

Set the Preferences - Windows

1. The following assumes the Full Feature Software has been installed.
  2. Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
  3. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Set as Default

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

If the printer software supports the feature, change the settings as desired, then use “Save as” to create a Custom Shortcut.

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage >

Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut and / or set “preferred settings” for paper, source (tray), other settings

Optional (if / as available): Save As > enter a name for your custom shortcut

Click OK to save the preferences

Word_Test_3X5_card_Preferences_1Word_Test_3X5_card_Preferences_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Happy New Year 2020Happy New Year 2020

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

As I said, I have had this printer for a few years and the reason I bought it was because it could print borderless A4 and I have been doing for years. I don't understand how you can say this is not available when I have been doing it for my business.

Is there an old driver that I can download?

HP Recommended

@khaosandink 

I will edit my previous post to change the wording.

The documentation is apparently incorrect.

Using this source:  Specifications > Paper Handling

Assuming the ability to print A4 borderless is there, I would guess that the issue might be one of the printer software not reading the settings correctly, the settings not being configured completely, or the installation of the software needs to be removed and reloaded.

If you did indeed completely remove all the printer software, including any leftover bits in Devices and Printers and the software that hides in the user account, then reinstalling again will not likely fix the problem.

That leaves that the configuration may not be set - since the A4 is not listed in the Specifications as supporting borderless, perhaps you had a custom shortcut created for this setting that included the A4 as a custom paper size for borderless printing.  Ordinarily, custom shortcuts might survive reloading the software - not always and not when all traces of the previous installation of that software were removed prior to reinstalling the printer software.

If you have not done so, consider trying the HP Smart for Windows software.  

General Example - HP Smart for Windows - Officejet Pro 9025 - Borderless print

HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_3.5x5_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_3.5x5_1

The basic driver that is available is dated as having been released in 2017 - I am not aware of an older driver.   

I will take my leave - I am not able to answer the question based on the information I can find.

I offer my apologies for wasting our time.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Be Aware:

Please do not call random 800 numbers posted by new / unknown members.

Watch out for hidden links that are not pointing to HP.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.