Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Printer won't print after cancelling instant ink.  They are new cartridges from the store and are not instant ink cartridges.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @clpatts123, Terry here.

Welcome to the HP forums.

If your final billing cycle is over, you probably just need to power cycle the printer with the retail ink cartridges removed.

Remove the ink cartridges temporarily. With the power on, remove the power cord. 30 seconds later, plug it back in. Once it powers back on, put the retail ink cartridges back in and complete any requests the printer may have and that should fix it.

Let me know.

-Terry
HP Instant Ink Support

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

NOT helpful - did not work and I cannot believe the nerve of your co. to implement such a horrific program that charges people monthly, then shuts them off to print at their home after canceling.  [Content Removed].  You have no right to treat users of yor products this way and we will NEVER buy another HP printer again because of it. 

HP Recommended

I agree with Holly,. I paid  $130 over three years  and I only received repacement cartridges the day befroe cancelation. So to that end I paid HP to maintian and monitor my usage. I would have been better off buying retail. Now I cant print apparently until I repace the cartridges with retail. What a scam. I always trusted HP unitl now.

If HP sold the ink with the priinter and they sent new cartridges then I have in fact paid for them. I dont understand why HP treats them as their own until they are depleted.

HP Recommended

I am having same problem. So, do I have to wait until the end of my billing cycle for the new ones to work?????

HP Recommended

@vsinger,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

When did you place a request to cancel the Instant ink service. Did you get any email confirmation.

Have you tried to login to your Instant ink account page and check if the account is still active/suspended/cancelled.

You can’t use HP Instant Ink cartridges after you cancel your service. Why? Because Instant Ink is an alternate way to print, where you pay for the pages you print, not for ink cartridges. Just as with a cell phone plan you can only make calls as long as you are enrolled with your cell provider, you can only print with Instant Ink cartridges while you are enrolled in an Instant Ink plan. If you cancel, you must buy regular ink cartridges to resume printing.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you remove the ink cartridges from the printer and then perform a hard reset. 

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Went through all of the suggested steps and still cannot print. Canceled my instant ink. Billing period ends Aug 26th. Have new ink cartridges in printer (NOT from instant ink). Even reset printer to original factory default. Still can't print. Do I have to wait until Aug 27th? Would NEVER again recommend HP. 

HP Recommended

@vsinger,

You don't have to wait till the Instant ink account gets cancelled. If you want to use the printer, you can go ahead and use regular ink cartridges and it should work. 

Please note, if you use one or the other Instant ink cartridges then you might have an issue. Please check the cartridges and ensure they don't read as Instant ink. 

If you are using both regular ink cartridges and still having the issue. I would recommend you go ahead and turn off web services and then restart the printer. 

HP Printers - Turning On Web Services

Once done, Install the regular ink cartridges and then check if it helps. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran out of Black Ink on my subscription, go figure, just in time delivery failed, obviously. I bought a Black Ink cartridge at the store and could print fine until I cancelled my subscription. Now my purchased cartridge does not work and I'm guessing until I purchase the "color" cartridge as well. This is so bad if that is the case. Horrible service. Let's me down then penalizes me with additional costs for their lack of on time delivery. I'm holding the bag on a new black ink cartdridge and a full Instant Ink cartridge (I never print color) and I can't use my printer. This is "blackmail" - or blackinkmail.

HP Recommended

Do you need to have both ink cartridges replaced to move forward after subscription?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.