Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
6970 OfficeJet Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Out of the blue my printer stopped printing any color. I have deleted and removed software numerous times, re-installed again with no success. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@48scan

Thanks! Power resetting the printer and performing an automated printhead cleaning may resolve the issue, let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

7) Open the Printer Maintenance or Tools menu.

😎 Touch Clean Page Smears 

9) From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

10) Open the Printer Maintenance menu.

11) If necessary, open the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead. Touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning, repeat these steps for the third cleaning cycle.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@48scan

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I got to know from your post that you are not able to print in color. Not to worry, I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Are you able to copy documents in color?

How is the printer connected USB or wireless?

Could you also print a print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page and let me know if it has color in it. In order to print the report, from the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu. Open the Reports or Tools menu and touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No color on copy

Printer is connected via Wireless

Print Quality Diagnostic Page does not print in colr

HP Recommended

@48scan

Thanks! Power resetting the printer and performing an automated printhead cleaning may resolve the issue, let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

7) Open the Printer Maintenance or Tools menu.

😎 Touch Clean Page Smears 

9) From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

10) Open the Printer Maintenance menu.

11) If necessary, open the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead. Touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning, repeat these steps for the third cleaning cycle.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the advice. I followed all your instructions and thought it wasn't going to work because the second time I went to clean printheads, it failed. I then tried to copy a two sided color document and it worked perfect!

Thanks for saving me a trip to Staples to return it.

HP Recommended

@48scan

Great news! 🙂

Glad to know that the suggested steps helped and hope it remains that way.

I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

As @senan6806 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you.

Happy printing! 

HP Recommended

Printer stopped printing in color again. Followed your steps as shown previously and it looks like it worked again. My bigger concern is that it is off warranty in November 2018. Should I return or why does this keep happening?

HP Recommended

@48scan

Welcome back to HP Forums 

It looks like you were interacting with @senan6806, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I see that the issue keeps reoccurring and you need to clean the Printhead each time.

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.