Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Jemf,

Thank for all your patience and support to HP. I really appreciate it and value you as our customer.

Glad that you are finally be able to resolve your problem, I have also learned from your continuous feedback.

Factory Reset can work, kudos to your valubale and continual inputs to me.

Thank a lot.

Click "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks/Give Encouragement"

Appreciate if you mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Had the same problem. What finally resolved mine:  I removed all paper in the tray, pushed the paper guides in and  out again, replaced the (8.5"x11") (letter size) paper, made sure the guides were snug against it, pushed  the tray in,  powered the printer off by pressing the power button, then powered it up again. Bingo. (The power-down and restart was essential - nothing changed until after that step.)

Highly recommend trying this very quick and simple fix before spending your time uninstalling/installing software and recovering from a factory reset. I spent a lot of time on the below tactics, ineffective in my case. A post in this forum mentioned resetting the paper guides on the physical printer, and that's what inspired my fix.

The following did NOT work in the case of my HP Envy 4520:

• Factory reset did not work
  • Changing default paper size in the Windows control panel printer settings (and rebooting my PC) did not work
  • Changing the default paper size using the printer's LED screen did not work (displayed only 5x7, no other paper sizes)
  • Changing the default paper size in the HP Envy 4520 software did not work

Hope this helps someone - will make me feel better about time spent and aggravation abided! 😄
Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input regarding the paper size sensor. It led me to understand the problem and to find a quick and simple solution to the same problem (I posted, with steps.)

HP Recommended

This fix also saved me alot of time and aggravation. Thanks.

HP Recommended

WOW!!! I had to do this a couple of times.  And, it worked!!!  I had wasted a ton on time and was just going to call HP.

Thanks so much!!

HP Recommended

I’m pretty sure that there’s a real problem with the printer- mine will not let me change the size paper at the console. It tells me I can’t print with the current #10 envelope. I had been changing back and forth between envelope and letter and each time i take the tray out and put it in it used to ask if the paper size changed - The printer no longer does this. And addition to it not requesting what size when putting the tray inIt will not allow me to change the size paper when it gives me the error. It only wants me to Acknowledge the problem but it won’t let me fix the problem. I also tried putting the IP address in a browser and I was able to see everything but I was not able to change the size paper at all. I don’t know why somebody says that this error has been fixed or so the problem has been solved it’s not you need to change the status on this question!

HP Recommended

Exactly and my printer won’t do this anymore! My guess is that there is a sensor that no longer works for sensing the paper tray is in there or not.

HP Recommended

@sewbrilliant, Welcome to HP Support Community!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Does the regular printing work fine on your printer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.