10-21-2019 09:00 AM
This printer /scanner worked for me 2 months ago. I moved since then and am in a new home and am using the 4650 for the first time today. I've set up wifi on both the printer and laptop, but the laptop is no and longer connecting with the printer. I can choose the printer so my system knows it's there, but when I go to print/scan I get this message: "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner." (And I get an error message when I press the scan button on the scanner).
I've reinstalled HP Easy Scan and the printer driver. What more can I do? It worked fine 2 months ago!
10-23-2019 01:11 PM
@Monika7, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
- Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.
- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
- The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information.
Update the printer firmware
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Also, check for any software updates on MAC
Click here to know how.
Check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC
- Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
- On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
- Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
- Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
- Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.
To scan to computer from the printer screen, the feature has to be enabled using HP Utility.
- On your Mac, click Finder, click Applications, click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility. (If HP Utility is not available, download and install the printer essential software from here)
- Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer, then make sure the Enable Scan to Computer checkbox is selected.
3.) Try to scan.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee