Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Test results say unable to connect to wireless router b/c MAC address filtering may be enabled. My IP service tells me filtering is "allowing all." Tried the Virtual Assistant and found no answers. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Mima1

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Do you have any Anti-virus software installed on your MAC?
  • How far is the printer located from the WiFi router?
  • Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

• Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding! I will find out about bonjour packets (don't know what these are), and about anti-virus software, all the other suggestions I have dealt with. I'll keep you posted.

HP Recommended

@Mima1

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Let us try restoring the network settings and re-connecting the printer to the wireless network.

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So, from the homescreen I touch the wireless icon and this is what I get:

Not connected

IP: No link

Network Name: Not applicable

(the MAC #)

Wireless Direct: Off

More suggestions? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Also, regarding earlier suggestions, my ISP tells me that my router does not foreward Bonjour packets. Not sure how to see if my computer has anti-virus software.

HP Recommended

@Mima1

Thank you for the response. It seems like the printer is not connected to the wireless network.

Kindly follow the steps mentioned in my previous post to restore network setting and connect the printer to the wireless network.

Also, run a Wireless test on the printer and check if the Wireless radio is ON

• Go to Setup > network setup > Print Wireless Network Test.

If the test passes with no issues, check with your Internet Service provider as Bonjour packets play an important role when it comes to communication between the printer and MAC.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, thank you for your persistence.

I cannot connect to wifi. This was my original issue. The printer recognizes my network, it is the 2.4 version, but gives me a test results page when I use the connection wizard which says "MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router which can prevent your HP printer from connecting to your wireless network during setup." But when I go into my router account I find that filtering is off and it "allow(s) all." This is where I am stuck. 

The tech I spoke with today said I have a 3.0 version of the router because I have service for 250 mbps and this router does not forward bonjour packets. If I had opted for 500 speed or 1 gig, he tells me, I would have received the 3.1 router which can forward bonjour packets. 

Any more suggestions?

Thanks, Mima

HP Recommended

@Mima1

Let us reset the printer to its factory defaults and check if that helps. Performing a factory reset will wipe all the settings/data on the printer.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Reset was successful. Used Wireless Setup Wizard to try to connect which resulted in the same issue as before; the printer still thinks the router has MAC address filtering on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.