Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We are printing to an HP LaserJet 5 using Windows XP.  2 jobs are hung up in the print queue. I have tried deleting on the control panel multiple times and it just shows "deleting - printed" and "deleting - printing" as the status.  They have been there since yesterday and we can't print around them. When I try to delete  at the printer itself, it shows no jobs in the queue. I accessed another forum post on this topic that advised going into the print spooler, which I did, but then couldn't execute the second half of the suggestion to browse for the print jobs.  This is a network printer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you!   The problem was I needed to go to the file server to perform that function - my brain wasn't getting that fact.  It worked - thanks so much for your help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

PegS1, copy & save the following text using Notepad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response.  I'm afraid I don't know how to save to Notepad as a .bat file or otherwise, nor do I know how to execute it.  Could I trouble you for the "Solutions for Dummies" version?  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Ok, second option go to this site and Download Now a program called Stalled Printer Repair.

Save this program to your desktop.

Run this program by double clicking on the file saved with your mouse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I downloaded the program and it executed but said it couldn't detect any files. Could the problem be that the program is looking in the c:\\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS file and this is a network printer?  Our file server address is the F drive, but I couldn't find a windows\system32 file on there.

HP Recommended

Are you running a network server?

If yes, then your network administrator will be able to clear the print queue in Windows.

HP Recommended

Yeah, well, that would be me.  This is just a little, 4-person shop.

HP Recommended

In order to get the printing services back up and running, follow these steps:
1. Go to Start, Control Panel and Administrative Tools.

Double click on Services icon.
2. Scroll down to the Print Spooler service and right click on it and select Stop.
     In order to do this, you need to be logged in as Administrator.
     At this point, no one will be able to print anything on any of the printers that are being hosted on this server.
3. Next you need to go to the following directory: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS.
    Delete all the files in this folder.
    This will clear all print queues
4. Now you can go back to the Services console and right-click and choose Start for the Print Spooler service!

HP Recommended

Thank you!   The problem was I needed to go to the file server to perform that function - my brain wasn't getting that fact.  It worked - thanks so much for your help.

HP Recommended
Thnks for the fix
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.