Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

OK, I'm very 'technically challenged' here, so bear with me.  I had an HP Deskjet 3454 and unplugged the connections from it to the tower. I thought the same ports in the back of the old printer would be compatible with the new printer's ports...not so.  There was also a little black power adapter with a purple connection on one end and a two-prong  connection on the other end on the old printer.  I have no idea what to do with this and my new printer....  The instructions say "No USB cable included" and I don't know what to look for when I go to Best Buy.

I have a wireless router from ATT connected to my computer, but none of the ports on it match anything on the new printer, so I dont think I have a 'wireless connection.'  

You can see I really don't know much about connections, right?!?!?   HELP!!  i'D LIKE TO USE MY PRINTER.  Thanks.

Judybelle 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, you can connect wirelessly given your computer also supported wireless using same wireless router. If you wish to use USB connection, you can reuse the old cable or buy a cable which is similar to the following cable:

USB printer cable

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following link shows its specs:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=7317520#!tab=specs

It supports USB and wireless

Wireless capability:

• Yes

Connectivity, standard:

• 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
  • 1 WiFi 802.11n

Well, which one is your new printer now ? Is it a Deskjet 3545 ?

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No, it's a 4650 now;

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, you can connect wirelessly given your computer also supported wireless using same wireless router. If you wish to use USB connection, you can reuse the old cable or buy a cable which is similar to the following cable:

USB printer cable

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll pick up one of those USB cables tomorrow.  You've been helpful!!!  😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.