Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 5510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't find the usual pages to test with in the latest and greatest HP Smart app for my 5510.

I need to clean the print heads, etc. as I'm sure my issue will be resolved with this.  I've looked where the pages used to be but can't find them.

I can find the test print but I get a page with a red (faint) image in the middle of it and that's it.

I print so rarely that to keep the print heads primed I should print something once a week.  Well, I usually don't. 🙂  I've probably waited since early December to print anything.

So, I'm certain the other colors which aren't working will work once some level 1 and level 2 cleaning and print head cleaning happens.  But ... where'd these pages go?

Thanks,

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@PostalMike

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'm afraid, I don't quite understand the issue here. Please let us know the issue you're facing with your Printer.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well ... there are maintenance pages I'm used to seeing.  

Run a test page is one
Clean print heads is another
Align print heads
There are several others.  The only page I get now is to run a test page.  Nothing else.

I need to run a full level 1 or level 2 clean.  There are no longer any options to do this on the HP Smart App.  Or, i can't find them.  I'm getting only a faint red image on the test page that I do run.  No other colors, no black ink.  I have ink in the cartridges according to the app.

I'm running the setup now, which prints a page with a claim code.  Of course ... if the page can't print I won't see the code. 🙂 

I don't know how to better explain the issue.

Is there a way to attach a screen shot of what is happening?

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if my last reply actually posted.

Simple -- your HP 'Smart' app doesn't present the tools pages.  when I bring up the app and scroll through the home page using the mouse scroll, I see several images of my printer, with 'Printer Offline' and one does show up as 'Ready' with current ink levels.  I just installed a new black ink cartridge and it registers full.

however, no black ink prints.

I need to get to the pages to clean print heads, align print heads, do level 1/2 cleanings, etc.  They DON'T SHOW UP in the HP 'Smart' app.  They used to.  Where did they go?

Windows 10 Pro finds and installs the HP Printer just fine.  It prints a test page but only blue ink shows up.

That's the issue.

Question -- WHY do 4 images of my printer show up in the HP App, 3 of them showing 'Offline' and one showing 'Ready' and the Ready one doesn't work?

When it is selected I should see options in the left menu bar of the app to run all the alignment, cleaning, etc. tools.  They don't show up.

Something is really off the rails here, Windows 10 or HP.  Or both.  Everything worked fine until the most recent updates.

Thanks,

Mike 

HP Recommended

FYI I have installed the latest and greatest .exe from HP for the 5510.  It has not solved everything.

Please send me an email so I can send you screen shots of what is happening.  The app clearly (HP Smart) should NOT scroll over several icons of the printer -- this implies there are 4 options. (or 5, whatever)  Note, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer many times, rebooted it, uninstalled all the HP software installed by the latest and greatest .exe, etc.  So this might cause the duplicate images that show as 'offline'.

Until I can send screen shots, here is what I see:

scrolled all the way to the left: the + sign in a circle to add a printer

next to the right: Image of the 5510 showing Printer Offline.  All the buttons show up -- Get Supplies, Smart Tasks, etc.

next to the right: Another Offline Printer image

next to the right: HP Photosmart 5510 B111a showing as Ready with correct ink levels showing

next to the right: Another Offline Printer image

This clearly can't be correct.

When I select the Ready image now I finally see the pages I expect.  Here is the menu that only just showed up now:

Status

Printer Status

Supply Status

Information

2 sub menu items

Settings

1 sub menu item

Tools  -- FINALLY!  Before, even with the 'Ready' printer selected not all these options were showing.

I only just now got to the cleaning pages.  So, now that this is solved, black ink is not working.  Not sure what's up, maybe the print head dried up or something like that.   I did a first level clean and only got the colored squares at the top of the page.

The 2nd level clean result is negative.  Only the non-black colors print.  Not sure why this is.

What help can you offer?  obviously if the colors print and the black ink cartridge is new, black should also print.

HP Recommended

Are you able to copy in black? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the HP Smart App already? If not, try that and connect the Printer again.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.