Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro AIO 8500 A909g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer, (HP Officejet Pro AIO 8500 A909g used with Windows 10, 64 bit) is older but it has been great and working just fine. I guess it is so old, it was made when HP really put out a good product.  I replaced the printheads on it on 9-13-16 with original HP's.  After it was several years old, I started using generic ink cartridges in it.  I think the brand is LD.   The company guarantees them to work, or they will replace them.  I have used them for years with no problem.  I ordered a set of all 4 cartridges on 9-26-19.  The black cartridge was the usual LD brand.  The others were a brand I had never seen before, G&G.  I installed them on 10-12-19.  I thought it was strange I could not find an expiration date on either the ink cartridge or its box.  The printer would not print right.  It only printed a little letter here and there, and it was all in red and yellow.  I called the company about the problem, and told them there was not an expiration date anywhere.  They said they guaranteed them not to expire for a year after purchase.  They immediately replaced all of them.  I put them in 10-15-19, and got the same results.  I tried cleaning the printheads, (up to the third time), and aligning them.  I also calibrated the line feed.  Pages came out with very little print, all in red and yellow.  But worse, I got the message on each task that it could not be completed, and to refer to the directions.  I have an e-copy of the manual.  It does not mention this problem.  I have tried printing reports, copying, and redoing the 3 tasks several times, all with the same results.  I have ran the HP Print and Scan on it several times, made it the default printer, and I think Windows 10 may have  diagnostic printer software I have ran on it several times.  I had already downloaded the HP file for the Windows 10 fix before any of this happened.  Nothing has helped.  I don't use this all-in-one printer much because I have a newer HP all-in-one 8620 I bought a few years ago.  I could easily tell how much the quality went down on the newer model.  I have had problems with it from the first.  HP Support has been terrible.  I also always get someone I can't understand.  They finally agreed to replace the lemon.  They sent me another 8620 lemon.  It took months and three separate shipments.  I was replacing the ink cartridges on it, (950 and 951-all XL), at the same time, (same brand), as the 8500-A909g, as those cartridges had always worked well in it too.  It started doing the same thing as the old one.  I started trying the same things on it to fix it.  Nothing worked.  But then, I don't know what I was doing, but the 8620 starting working okay, or as well as it ever did. Does anyone know how to fix the red and yellow printing problem and what to do if it cannot complete the 2 printhead tasks and calibrate the linefeed?  I can't find instructions anywhere.  I would so appreciate your help.  Please break your reply in small, simply easy to follow steps.  Please explain any terminology you use.  I really need to get this resolved.  Please don't bother just pointing out my printer is old or I am not using original HP ink.  I don't think I can buy another HP printer unless someone knows of a good quality one.  I will have to buy another brand.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @AmazingGrace2

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

1. Press the Setup button.

2. Select Tools.

3. Select Clean Printhead.

For more info on resolving print quality issues, refer to this document.

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges. If the issue persists, I'm afraid it is a hardware issue with the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer CANNOT finish cleaning/aligning printhead or calibrate line feed.  IT CANNOT.  I cannot print out ANY REPORT OR ANYTHING ELSE.  NOR COPY.  ALL THAT COMES OUT IS A VERY, VERY LIGHT RED AND SOME YELLOW STRAIGHT MARKS HERE AND THERE.  FROM READING ON HERE, I THOUGHT SOMEONE HAD READ HOW TO MANUALLY CLEAN THE CARTRIDGE NOZZLES AND/OR PRINTHEAD NOZZLES.  I WOULD NOT TAKE THAT ON LIGHTLY UNLESS I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT I WAS DOING.  NOT ONE SINGLE TEST, REPORT, NOTHING WILL PRINT OUT.  IF ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THAT AND KNOWS THAT IT WOULD HELP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

i CANNOT STAND TO BUY ANOTHER HP PRINTER.  WHILE THE 8500 A909g HAS SERVED ME WELL FOR YEARS, THE HP 8620 i BOUGHT JUST A FEW YEARS AGO WAS JUNK FROM THE DAY I BROUGHT IT HOME.  HP SUPPORT NEARLY KILLED ME BEFORE REPLACING IT WITH ANOTHER 8620 PIECE OF JUNK.  i HAVE READ REVIEWS EVERYWHERE FOR AS MANY HOURS, DAY AFTER DAY, AS i COULD STAND.  iT SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE ALL JUST MAKING CHEAP JUNK.  i HAVE NOT IDEA OF A DECENT PRINTER i CAN BUY.  I WANT WANT WITH LOTS OF FEATURES-AUTO 2-SIDED PRINTING, COPYING, SCANNING.  WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BIG DEAL?  AND A AIO SHOULD ALWAYS FAX!  iT SHOULD HAVE AN ADF.  iT SHOULD BE MADE OUT OF QUALITY MATERIAL.  i DO NOT PRINT PHOTOS.  i CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THE FEATURES LEFT OUT THESE DAY AND HOW CHEAP THEY ARE MADE.  EVEN THE $500.00 ONES.

HP Recommended

@AmazingGrace2

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.