Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I installed a new HP60XL black ink cartridge in my D2600 and from this point forward, each and every time I print (even a simple one-word "test" in notepad) I receive 20-30 of these pop-up messages.  I am aligned the cartridges in the HP Solution Center utility.  I have  verified that the contacts are clean. 

I really need this print capability and the nearest store is 200 miles away!  I bought genuine cartridges (as it reminds me) but the printer is nearly unusable without risking carpel tunnel from the clicking away the annoying messages.

What can be done to remedy this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the registry tip - I checked and I don't even have the 'hpdj printing system key', so I thought something might be wrong with the install.  I ran the HP Update application and it located a critical application update for 'PC to Printer Communications'.  It was not an instant fix; the first print job loaded up the spooler, so I reset the spooler and now everything is back to normal; fast prints and no annoying pop-up messages.  The update did create the registry setting per your suggestion and this must be the solution.  Thank you - your reply put me on the right track for teh solution.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Hello marvista,

You can most likely get rid of the messages this way:

Click Start then Run and type regedit and click Ok. Browse to hkey_local_machine/software/hewlett-packard/HPDJ printing system config/HPDeskjet 2600 series. Right-click in the right part of the screen and select New D-word value. Name it hpdjenablestatusclient (unless it's already there, in that case double-click it and change its value to 0). Close the registry editor and try printing again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the registry tip - I checked and I don't even have the 'hpdj printing system key', so I thought something might be wrong with the install.  I ran the HP Update application and it located a critical application update for 'PC to Printer Communications'.  It was not an instant fix; the first print job loaded up the spooler, so I reset the spooler and now everything is back to normal; fast prints and no annoying pop-up messages.  The update did create the registry setting per your suggestion and this must be the solution.  Thank you - your reply put me on the right track for teh solution.

HP Recommended

How To cancel out or remove the message “Using Genuine HP Cartridges has its Rewards” or “Thank you for using Genuine HP Cartridges” or “Genuine HP print cartridge installed” every single time you print no matter what options you click.  In Windows 7:  Go to Start>Devices and Printers>Right mouse click on the printer that is causing the pop-up then select “Printer Properties” (don’t select the “Fax” select the printer)>Go to the tab entitled “Ports”>uncheck “enable bidirectional support”.  FYI, bidirectional support allows the printer to communicate on some ephemeral level with the computer so I would rather just cancel the message but can’t seem to find the solution in the registry or other means. The pop up is either a screw up by HP software engineers or a means of "Judasware" (aka ‘stab-you-in-the-back’ ware).  HP has really gone downhill lately and makes many attempts to install sneakware in its required drivers; look at the newest version and you will see that to even get the basic drivers you have to fend off multiple covert (tacit consent) attempts to sneak in additional programs like Ask.com, toolbars, etc…  Meg Whitman is the new CEO so I place the new divisive tactics on her face but also blame the outgoing Vyomesh Joshi for creating a “new means to boost the stock price” and the new Todd Bradley will probably just keep employing the same deception.  At any rate, as someone with some degree of corporate buying power I will definitely make sure to avoid any HP servers, professional services, software, printers, laptops, etc.; if they do this to the home user then surely they trick corporate customers as well (just more subtly I’m sure).  Hewlett and Packard created the company by making a better product, they then increased the value with superior services, these newcomer “me-too” executives lack the creativity and drive to create so they have to trick and deceive with Sneakware and Judasware for a quick buck.  HP stock is down again today, hopefully it will de-list (read, go broke) rather than reward these deceptive business practices.

HP Recommended

to Pontus_N -- I'm having the same problem with my Photosmart 7525.  Am I right in guessing that I do the same thing, only navigate to the appropriate folder for my printer and substitute "ps" for "dj" in the registry value?

HP Recommended

Best tip of all. Simple, worked like a charm. They really  like to annoy us don't they? Thank's

HP Recommended

I don't like the sound of this at all. A genuine product from any company should NEVER, repeat NEVER require a user to tamper with the registry. Either the product is at fault i.e. the cartridge or the printer or the software is not correct but that should beresolved by an update. NEVER tamper with the regustry if you are not a professional.

I have been told, but not by HP, that they have fed software into your computer that corrupts the printing of colour photos if you are using a non-HP cartridge. It must be in the software because if you carry out a colour copy direct from the printer panel no difference is noticeable.  The printer appears to print in lines on each photo.

I am so disillusioned by this that I am probably going to dump my HP printer and go fo a Canon or  Brother. Very disappointing because until now I was completely happy.

Has anybody else had this issue?

HP Recommended

I totally agree.   The marketing mental midgets at HP have succeeded in making their HP Printers disfunctional.  I have been a long term HP customer.   I will be throwing my HP Printer in the trash.  I have promised myself to never again buy an HP product.

HP Recommended

are you still haaving the problem in 2016 with win-10....

Is it time kto get out of HP printers?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.