Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I want to print photos from jpegs on my computer to fit a photo frame that has two sizes of aperture for the photos, 10x15cm and 8x10cm. I can print a photo on to photographic paper at 10x15cm as that paper size is available in the Print dialogue.

8x10cm though is not a paper size in the Print dialogue (unless it is one that has a name but doesn't tell me what size  it is).

I found that I should be able to go to Printers and Devices, Printer server properties, and create a new form - I did this, named and saved it with the above dimensions, 8x10cm. When I selected the jpeg and Print, the saved form was not visible amongst all the standard paper sizes.

So how can I choose the exact but non-standard dimensions of my printed photo?

I am using Windows 10 on an HP laptop, and an HO 2600 deskjet wireless printer.

Thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@Silvertrain 

If I am reading this correctly,

The information provided by @8lives  is essentially the answer.

No, you cannot print any size you want using this printer.

The 2600 is a modest little printer; it does provide degree of flexibility.

For example,

Specifications > Paper Handling

Media sizes supported (metric)
A4; B5; A6; DL envelope
Media sizes supported (U.S. standard)
Letter; Legal; 4 x 6 in; 5 x 7 in; 8 x 10 in; No. 10 envelopes
Media sizes, custom (metric)
89 x 127 to 215 x 279 mm
Media sizes, custom (U.S. standard)
3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in

The "standard" size list is short (few standard sizes).

The "custom size" list is far more inclusive, but there are lower and upper size limits that are nonnegotiable.

8x10 cm is too small (10cm is only 3.91 inches)

25.5cm = 10 inches

32.7cm = 12.87 inches

10x12.9 inches is acceptable - but because it is not a listed standard size, this is a "custom size" for this printer.

You are indeed making your point - the answer provided by @8lives  remains the same in this case.

Perhaps you can find a compromise that works for your purpose.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The smallest custom size is 3 x 5 inches or 7.62 x 12.7 cm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

That's the point though, I don't want a custom size, I want to print a size I choose. It is currently as I stated, but what if i said 25.5cm x 32,7cm? Surely there must be a way to print in any size you want? Does it require special software perhaps if MS can't do it?

HP Recommended

See the Custom size option in the Paper/Quality option in Printing preferences of the 2600.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@Silvertrain 

If I am reading this correctly,

The information provided by @8lives  is essentially the answer.

No, you cannot print any size you want using this printer.

The 2600 is a modest little printer; it does provide degree of flexibility.

For example,

Specifications > Paper Handling

Media sizes supported (metric)
A4; B5; A6; DL envelope
Media sizes supported (U.S. standard)
Letter; Legal; 4 x 6 in; 5 x 7 in; 8 x 10 in; No. 10 envelopes
Media sizes, custom (metric)
89 x 127 to 215 x 279 mm
Media sizes, custom (U.S. standard)
3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in

The "standard" size list is short (few standard sizes).

The "custom size" list is far more inclusive, but there are lower and upper size limits that are nonnegotiable.

8x10 cm is too small (10cm is only 3.91 inches)

25.5cm = 10 inches

32.7cm = 12.87 inches

10x12.9 inches is acceptable - but because it is not a listed standard size, this is a "custom size" for this printer.

You are indeed making your point - the answer provided by @8lives  remains the same in this case.

Perhaps you can find a compromise that works for your purpose.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I tried that and selected dimensions but when I went to print a photo the standard list of paper sizes was there but not my one. Same as when I did a similar thing using MS Paint and print options.

In the meantime I found some software  that enabled me to crop then resize tot he dimensions I chose and remembered them when i printed. Success!

HP Recommended

You say the printer is not capable - incorrect. I found some software, Photopad, that enabled me to crop a jpeg, then resize it to 8cm x 10cm and print it on to photo paper, exactly what I wanted. 

It's not the printer, it's the limitations imposed by MS and in this case HP as far as i can see!

Thanks anyway

HP Recommended

@Silvertrain 

@Silvertrain wrote:

You say the printer is not capable - incorrect. I found some software, Photopad, that enabled me to crop a jpeg, then resize it to 8cm x 10cm and print it on to photo paper, exactly what I wanted. 

It's not the printer, it's the limitations imposed by MS and in this case HP as far as i can see!

Thanks anyway

Well, there you go.  

For those reading:

The paper size limitation is hard coded into the printer - regardless of all else, and even if you find a way to beat the limitation, be careful of using paper that is listed as too small for the printer.  The tiny paper could be caught inside the printer where you cannot reach it.   

Image size, on the other hand, is not tied to paper size - Image size can be whatever you like on a supported sheet of paper.

==========================================================

Happy Printing.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.