Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5000 (6EA546)

Hello,

Just got this nice printer. it prints well. However, I can't make it scan properly.

First of all it won't let me to Scan from the touch display menu. When I click Scan it shows a warning "Software Required! Visit 123.hp.com ..."

If I try to scan from my phone, it scans but adds to all my scans an alignment page(a grid with blue and black squares). 

I needed to scan an ID today quickly and I couldn't do that. 

How can I fix this and set the printer to let me scan from the touch display menu and stop inserting alignment page to all my scans?

My printer connected by wifi. and I can see my printer in the phone app.

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AlexReds 

You do need some sort of printer software.

Depending on your phone, HP Smart might be supported.

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first - List of printers and supported applications

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers

HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

HP Smart - iOS and Android - Download, How-to. Videos, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Mobile Printing – “Show and Tell” – Step by Step How-to

Learn how to connect and use your printer with your device

HP Mobile Printing - Print from Smart phone or Tablet

HP Smart for Windows

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

What about...

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

If the printer is on the network,

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > make sure Webscan is checked / enabled
  • Tab Scan > Webscan

Printer software for PC

If you have a PC, there is likely a version of the printer software that is the "full driver" that is meant to be run on that PC for the purpose of supporting the full features of that printer software.

Software for Windows PC

NOTES

• If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation. Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

• Some (newer) printer models (only) provide the "Easy Start" install method. When applicable, the Easy Start installation will be found in the Software and Drivers website support page > Category Software

• Within Easy Start, you will be given the opportunity to install the software that is available for the printer
    • Look for / Select the "Full Driver" software

Install - Manual Installation of the Downloaded Printer Software

• Open Category Software and Drivers in your printer Support Website
  • Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software or HP Easy Start Printer Setup for your Operating System version.
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator

NOTES

1. If you use the Easy Start method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when the option to select the software is presented. The name of the “full driver” might vary by printer model.  For example, the software might be called “Full Solution Software”.
  2. After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

==============================================================

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 5000 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur,

Thanks, for chipping in.

I do have an iOS app - HP Smart.

And I can scan with it. Although, all my scans come out with this alignment grid page. You can see the item you scanned and behind it the grid. 

In regards to scanning software. I don't understand. The alignment page instruction says I have to scan in. But when I press scan it gives me the aforementioned warning and does nothing after.  Every printer I used in the past was able to perform Scan-to-Print function without any software. Why can't this printer do that?

I think something just messed up in the settings.. Maybe i should try to reset it. Just thought maybe there is a quicker fix.

HP Recommended

@AlexReds 

@AlexReds wrote:

@Dragon-Fur,

Thanks, for chipping in.

I do have an iOS app - HP Smart.

And I can scan with it. Although, all my scans come out with this alignment grid page. You can see the item you scanned and behind it the grid. 

In regards to scanning software. I don't understand. The alignment page instruction says I have to scan in. But when I press scan it gives me the aforementioned warning and does nothing after.  Every printer I used in the past was able to perform Scan-to-Print function without any software. Why can't this printer do that?

I think something just messed up in the settings.. Maybe i should try to reset it. Just thought maybe there is a quicker fix.

You are welcome.

Not sure - I've not used HP Smart Mobile to print out an alignment page (run the alignment).

Your Envy Printer, in so much that I am aware, supports all the main options (Scan, Print, etc).

No, I do not know why a scanned item would shadow the alignment page behind the scan.

Printer may be confused because it needs the alignment and "can't get there from here".   ?

Regardless...

In general, I believe you can print out the alignment sheet when needed.  The User Guide  (Page 65-66) says to do this using the printer software installed on the PC.  Yeah, no.  If you don't have a PC with the printer software installed, this won't work.

I might have missed it; I don't see Diagnostic Tools help in the mobile how-to file.

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

So...

The following might work, though I cannot be sure your printer behaves in the same manner as my Officejet Pro 9025...

Open the Hp Smart application on your mobile

Click Settings 

Select "Add / Set Up a Printer"

Under Tools

Select Print Quality Tools

Click Align Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.