Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5740 Product Number: B9S76A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My printer is not printing black. I did purchase the XL size black cartridge instead of my usual standard size. The standard color cartridge is new, but the printing issue existed before that.

I have searched the forums and followed instructions from the thread below:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-5740-Cannot-print-black-ink/td-p/6954882

It appears that my OfficeJet 5740 is out of warranty and does not allow me to contact HP for help, per the last suggestion from that thread. Any advice???

I also found a store that sells parts. If this requires a new part, which one should I buy???
http://www.partshere.com/hppartslist/hpparts.asp?part=B9S76A

Overall, I am disappointed by the longevity of this printer compared to all other HP printers I've purchased. I prefer to fix the printer instead of adding more plastic to the landfills. Any guidance is helpful. I've been known to open up a smart TV for repairs and imagine that a printer is of similar skillset.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures!

Here we have a faulty, black cartridge. Please turn the cartridge upside down for about an hour. After that time, re-insert the cartrdige and run an automatic cartrdige clean (You can also remove the tri-color cartridge from the printer when running that cartridge clean to save ink 😉). If this doesn't help, you can complain the faulty cartridge directly at HP.

You'll find the phone number on this hyperlink:

Contact HP

I would love to hear a feedback from you!

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @YayaVa ,

Welcome to the HP Support-Community.

Don't worry, we'll find the problem. 😊

First of all, please do these steps:

Take a handkerchief and the black cartridge. Now press the cartridge like a stamp on the handkerchief for about 2-3 seconds. You should see a strong, black strip. Is that so?
If there is no or very little ink on the handkerchief, moisten the handkerchief slightly and press the cartridge again, this time for about 30 seconds on it, until more ink comes out.
Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean, if necessary.

What is the result?

Does the printer show you the estimated ink-levels for the black cartridge?

Cheers!

Nils

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

HP Recommended

@Nils_K, 

I  very much appreciate your help and such a quick response to my question. 

1) After stamping 2-3 seconds, no result. 7-8 seconds gives me a 1 cm broken line. I did the 30-second test and found a decent stamp. So, I printed a test and at least it was better than what I had earlier.
After 30-second test and 1 cleaningAfter 30-second test and 1 cleaning

A 2nd cleaning made it worse (below).
After 2nd cleaningAfter 2nd cleaning
I did not attempt a 3rd cleaning, because I did that earlier today and the color cartridge is showing only 75% full.

2) INK LEVELS:
I have a little less than 1/2 of a XL size cartridge in black.    I just received that color cartridge via HP.com shipping and opened it today; the one that's at 75% now. The color is working nicely.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures!

Here we have a faulty, black cartridge. Please turn the cartridge upside down for about an hour. After that time, re-insert the cartrdige and run an automatic cartrdige clean (You can also remove the tri-color cartridge from the printer when running that cartridge clean to save ink 😉). If this doesn't help, you can complain the faulty cartridge directly at HP.

You'll find the phone number on this hyperlink:

Contact HP

I would love to hear a feedback from you!

Cheers!

Nils

HP Recommended

@Nils_K,

Looks like the ink cartridge is a dud. The 1-hour trick did not work in this case, so I'm contacting customer support. You saved me tons of time trying to determine if it's a printer part or the actual cartridge. 

Cheers!
Mary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.