Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4527
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please Help

My HP ENVY 4527 was working fine with Windows 10 but I had a crash due to a virus. On having the system cleared and refreshed I can now no longer print in colour despite it showing colour on screen. When I go into settings there is never an option to choose colour or turn grayscale off. I can copy in colour no problem so I know it's nothing wrong with the cartridges so what can I do to get colour printing again.

I have also uninstalled the printer and installed it again several times but to no avail.

I have attached the system screenshot for info below.

Please please help I've tried allsorts from other help forums and this one but still no joy

MarkSystem.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sevs66

Hi,

as @Rainbow23 is out of the office, I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively.

I understand that after performing a refresh on Win10, there are no options to print in color. Thanks for sharing the images. 

The evidence indicates towards the drivers. I suggest you to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with the printer drivers. 

If the issue still persists then let us uninstall the existing printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link.

I hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Sevs66,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print in color from your HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the print in black only option is checked in the drivers or the color cartridge may be empty or defective.

Let's go through a few steps to fix this issue.

1. In your software application, click Print.

2. Select your printer from the list of available printers.

3. Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box.

Note: Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.

4. On the Properties window, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.

5. Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then de-select Print in Grayscale or High-Quality Grayscale.

6. Click OK to complete the change.

If the issue persists, then you may follow the link: Color or Black Ink Not Printing

Let me know how this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbow23

Thanks but as I indicated in my original post I have already treid this solution to no avail. 

Please see attached 3 further screen shots following your sequence to see what options I have available to me.

FYI the printer is the 4527 and not 5640 although I doubt this makes a difference as it's a software issue rather than a printer related problem

MarkPrinter 3.jpgPrinter 1.jpgPrinter 2.jpg

HP Recommended

@Sevs66

Hi,

as @Rainbow23 is out of the office, I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively.

I understand that after performing a refresh on Win10, there are no options to print in color. Thanks for sharing the images. 

The evidence indicates towards the drivers. I suggest you to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with the printer drivers. 

If the issue still persists then let us uninstall the existing printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link.

I hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Awesome Mkazi

Thanks a massive bunch, clearing the drivers etc and reinstalling from the link provided has worked.

Sevs

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.