Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(exactky as another error reported last year but no fix shown)

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus all in one. My original problem that I had called HP Support about was 2 simultaneous error messages. 1) a "False" paper jam error message that was followed by 2) an "improper shut down" error message from repeated power on and off.

I have tried to get to the secret support option but I am prevented by the 'Improper shut down' msg.

I can access from a desktop PC if there is a reset command I can issue from the PC??

It certainly looks like a RESET would be helpful.

I do not believe there is any paper inside the machine.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Neil4All,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are getting false paper jam error message on your printer screen. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue. I understand you have already performed all the steps and still having the issue, Before I could send you a private message to perform a full reset on your printer.  I would suggest you try these steps once again.

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website

Follow the steps suggested in the support document for Paper Jam - Click here

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Mr. Singh,

Pls do send me also the steps to do Advance rest on my HP officejet Pro 8600 plus as I am also having problem of improper shut down and false paper jam which unable to navigate using the touch screen.

Thank you.

Brgds/Jimmy Teo [edit]

HP Recommended

@jt1972,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I understand you are looking to do a factory reset on your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the Printer before the issue started?

Have you tried to restore the printer to the network defaults?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let's try to restore the printer to the network defaults, Here are the steps: 

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the

Dashboard, and then touch (Setup).

2. Touch Network Setup.

3. Touch Restore Network Settings.

A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.

4. Touch Yes.

5. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would suggest here is to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Receiving an improper shutdown error message upon power up. Acknowledge that then receive a paer jam error.Have cleaned and blown out all  the variousroller areas. Shut down, disconnected all cords, held powewr button on for 30+ secondswith ink cartridges removed, repowered with them, out, them in door open door closed and every ime same error codes. Reset Network to default powered down, held power button ... same issue. 

Appears an software rebot is needed. HELP

HP Recommended

As with the last few posts in this user forum, I keep getting the paper jam error/improper shutdown error messages.  I have rigorously followed all of your advice, including downloading the new software, driver and firmware.  However I am still unable to fix the problem.

Please advice on another fix, or provide me with a private message to reset the printer as I believe I have exhausted all other options.

Thank you,

Cyn_Sci1961

HP Recommended

@Cyni_Sci1961

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. (Remove the cartridge)

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Singh,

I have the same problem of a false paper jam on my 7 year old Office Jet Pro 8600 N911a. I have followed the instructions on this forum and elswhere but cannot do a reset to remove the error message. The carriage will not voluntarily move to the undocked position when opening the front cover with power on.

Hoping it can be hard reset or is it time for a new printer?

Regards

John T

HP Recommended

@johnt51

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

It's a pleasure assisting you in finding answers to your technical queries.

I have sent you a private message, to contact HP Phone support that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am encountering an identical situation with my Office Jet Pro 8600 as described by John T.  I have tried many suggestions and am still unable to get beyond the Improper Shutdown message followed by the Paper Jam issue.   I have always had my printer plugged directly into a wall socket.    The carriage will not move even though it sounds like it is attempting to do so.  Because of this I cannot remove the cartridges.  I have been fighting the issue for several days now and know that I will need to be able to print soon.

Does this sound like a situation where a hard reset is the only option, or is it more severe?

Thank you,

Conno

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.