Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Irene are you having the same issue as the user you quoted? 

Let me know how that goes and I will get right back with you! 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer

HP Recommended

Hi,

I bought a 5520 printer and set it up and the printing function works well via my WiFi home network and also with a USB

cable to an older Toshiba laptop. E-print also works well.

I thought I could also print from iPhone or iPad wirelessly with the HP ePrint app installed on both iDevices directly to the 5520  printer - WITHOUT ANY WiFi home network,  e.g. iPad to 5520 directly - but it's not working.

Have turned Wireless direct on and it is confirmed on printer screen w/o security. It will work when I turn my AirPort express back on, e.g. re-establish home network.

What else must I do apart from what is suggests in the 5520 user manual under "Connect wirelessly to the printer w/o a router" ?

Thanks,

Johann

HP Recommended

Hey Johann,

I see you are trying to use the Wireless Direct feature with the Photosmart 5520 to print from an iPad/iPhone using the ePrint mobile app.  When you turn on the wireless direct for the printer, are you then connecting the iPad or iPhone to the network before trying to print with the ePrint app?

As well, can you connect the iPad or iPhone to the AirPort home network and print using the app when the printer is connected to the home network?

What happens when you have the iDevice connected to the printer's broadcasted network (Wireless Direct) and try to print using the HP ePrint app?  Do you get an error or simply nothing happens?

I want to be able to help, but want to make sure I understand the complete issue at hand.

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply.

After I bought the 5520 I installed the software on my iMac and an older  Windows XP laptop that has no WiFi.

I also installed some updates to the 5520 before doing anything at all.

The iMac prints through the home WiFi network (AirPort Express), the Toshiba laptop prints via USB cable, 100% ok.

The iPad/iPhone print to the 5520 ok while the AirPort Express WiFi is alive. The printer appears in the top LH side corner

with its name + green dot, the bottom RH side print button is highlighted and printing works.

The wireless direct I have turned on once and then no more because when I go into the settings in the 5520 I can see it is still selected ON, so I leave it alone. No, I am not trying to connect to the network before I attempt to print - I have the

home network already disconnected. Do you always have to fire up the home network before successfully using the

wireless direct function ?

When I try to print I can see the printer green light is not on  in the Ipad screen and the blue print button (RH bottom)

is pale and not highlighted.

Thanks Jason,

Johann 

HP Recommended

To be fair, I found hte print direct a bit of a pain, because you have to change your wifi setting on your idevice all the time (and they had a habit of connecting to it when I didn't want and so lost internet connectivity). So if I want to print from and idevice I just use the hp eprint email system which works just fine, from anywhere.

Happy to report that since my original post the printer has been working well from all devices.

HP Recommended

Hey Johann,

If the wireless direct feature is turned on, then you do not have to have the home network on or off as Wireless Direct makes the printer the "host."  You will have to connect the iDevice to the printer's broadcasted signal to print across the ePrint app to the printer using Wireless Direct.  It sounds like you currently have the iPad/iPhone(s) connected to your home network and when you want to use wireless direct you just turn off the signal from the AirPort.  You must still reconnect your iDevice to the signal being produced by the 5520 to utilize the wireless direct.

You also have the option of using AirPrint from the iPad/iPhone when connected to the AirPort router. Hope this helps.

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I too *just* bought the HP 5520 and have also spent *hours* going through manuals, websites, diagnostics JUST to set up the printer to print wirelessly. The "network" feature is not working as it forces me to choose between my wireless provider and the printer.  If i select HP 5520, i loose my VPN connection.

My friend has a Canon and you click a button to synch the printer to the computer wirelessly.  Is there something similiar on the HP?  I just want to be able to print wirelessly without all the complicated set ups i have seen in this blog.

thanks,

Carru

HP Recommended

Hi Jason,

Yes, you are right.  Printing from iPad works directly to the printer when the home network is turned off and

the iPad shows the printer in the WiFi neetwork screen. A family member has just bought an iPad mini, entered

the usual details incl. Apple ID but never connected it to any computer. Then the HP ePrint app was downloaded

directly fron the app store and configured, the WiFi home network was turned off afterwards. The printer showed up

on the iPad screen and printing went ok.

But I am wondering if it will work in the following situation ?

A person who owns no computer , e.g. has absolutely no infrastructure at all and never wanted anything to do

with computers now goes to purchase a 3G iPad and HP 5520 printer. Can he get WiFi direct printing to work after

he has obtained a Gmail email address and a prepaid SIM card to go online ?  Can the printer be sufficiently set up

initially to operate without an ethernet connection or WiFi home network ???

Thanks Jason,

Greetings from Downunder

Walter

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hey Carru,

I see you are having an issue with using your HP Photosmart 5520 when you are connected to your "wireless provider."  However, you mention that you are using a VPN service.  The Photosmart 5520 does not support being connected to a VPN network. If you are logged into a VPN network on your PC, then you are no longer "technically" on the same home network any longer.  Even if your printer is connected to your home network via your wireless router the PC will not see the printer as the PC is now ported to the VPN network for traffic.

Hope this helps clarify,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.