Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp OfficeJet Pro 8710
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have not been able to connect wirelessly to my printer from my MacBook Air since updating to Catalina.  I have installed HP Easy Start. It can find my printer when I restore network settings. It does find my wireless network, but it will not join.  My Mac and my printer are on the same network.  I can print using a usb printer cable, but that is not a solution.  

I am using a MacBook Air, Mid 2013 computer using Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I am showing a reply has been made (and been notified by email), but am unable to see the response.  When I click on the email link, it takes me to a page with the following error message: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Email states that the reply was from Sam889, but I cannot see it. 

HP Recommended

I still need help with this. I have installed the latest IOS update 10.15.3 Catalina, and still cannot make a wireless connection to my printer. 

HP Recommended

Hi @FBCMARICOPA

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the connectivity issue. 

To better assist you - 

1) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Or, maybe connected through an extender?

3) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac?

To isolate the issue, please perform a ping test and share the results-

a) Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer.

b) On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box.

c) Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings.

d) Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost.

Note: There should be 0% packet loss

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Printer and laptop are on the same network, and my router is dual-band.  When I connect wirelessly, it is through the 2.4 band. 

It is less than 10' between router and printer, and they are in the same room.  I do not run an antivirus software on my mac.  

I did the ping, and had 0% packet loss. 

Turning the wifi off on my printer and turning it back on again allowed me to reconnect to my Mac temporarily, but it did not last.  The only way to connect to it is with a USB at this time. The problem is not my router (I provide my own).  

I apologize for the delayed response, but Friday-Sunday are the tree busiest days of my week.  Thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

@FBCMARICOPA

Let's try these steps - 

Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There are no barriers. Router and all devices are in the same room. 

Distance is no problem. My laptop is less than 3 feet from the printer, and the printer is 7 feet from the router. It never loses it connection to my router. 

I have an ASUS router. The channel is dynamic.  

It seems obvious to me that the problem is due to an incompatibility between the IOS 10.15 update and the printer firmware.  

HP Recommended

@FBCMARICOPA

You may try changing the channels. 1, 6 and 11 are recommended. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.