Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I reinstalled my OfficeJet software and printer recently because of other problems.  I can print documents fine but switching to envelopes, I get nothing printed.  The envelope feeds but nothing is printed on it.  I get no error messages on the printer or the computer.  I have run HP Scan and Print Doctor but it only installed some updates and did not change anything with the envelopes.  I am using MS Word 2013 on Windows 10 Pro.  Any suggestions please?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @spd_racer,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Appreciate your troubleshooting efforts. They were spot on. 

Since you already reinstalled the printer drivers, it looks like an issue with the Microsoft Word app. First, try making a “Copy” using the printer touch screen. If the copy comes out well, then try making a print from some other apps like Adobe reader, Notepad or from your Email. If all the other printable are working fine, then the issue could be with the Microsoft Office suite. I would suggest you reinstall the same.

Alternatively, check the Microsoft forum which discusses the same issue: http://hp.care/2dakge6

Please visit http://hp.care/2eBec1G to get detailed instructions on printing envelopes using your HP printer.

Hope this answers your questions. I will watch for your reply!

Cheers

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reponse and help.  I did try making a copy of an envelope onto anther envelope but couldn't get it aligned correctly.  It did try to copy though.

Then I tried to print envelopes in WordPad and Notepad.  Neither worked.  They both did the same as MS Word (fed envelope through the printer but not print on it).  I made an envelope in MS Word then printed it as a PDF.  Then went to Adobe Reader to actually print it.  It would print on regular Letter size paper but not on at envelope as I cannot specify the envelope's position in the printer.  Should I uninstall remove from Windows) the printer and reinstall?

HP Recommended

Hi @spd_racer,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers. 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13 ). Restart the PC

14 ). Now click on the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40120/bi-108858-4/OJ8600_1315-1.exe and install the latest printer drivers

15 ). In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, I finally was able to get back to this problem.  I followed the uninstall/reinstall you suggested above and still get the same responses from MS Word and the other programs.  Interestingly, when I ran printui.exe /s from the command line, there were no HP printer drivers listed before the uninstall.

Once the uninstall failed to give me the envelopes, I thought about reinstalling the original software and drivers that came with the printer on purchase.  The software version is 24.2 so it was a few years back.  On trying the reinstall of that software, it showed an error due to the operating system.  It will only install on Win XP or Win 7, therefore it didn't install anything. 

Is there a way I could try to reinstall an older driver to see if that resolves the issue?  Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @spd_racer,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are having issues installing the drivers for your printer and you would like to know if you can install older drivers. I would suggest you could try Windows built-in drivers. For more details, click here

If you still have an issue, I would suggest here is to do a clean install:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

·         Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

·         Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

·         Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

·         Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

·         Now restart your computer again.

·         Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

·         Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

·         Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

·         Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

·         Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40120/bi-108858-4/OJ8600_1315-1.exe and install the software.

·         Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.