Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8600
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I am unable to print the page numbers on my document

I am using Microsoft Word for Mac v. 16.32

My printer is Officejet Pro 8600

I am currently running macOS Catalina v.10.15.2 

Worked on my Brother and Canon printers, but not the HP (which is my workhorse)

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Chris_of_Canada

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Update the printer firmware

On the printer screen, go to Web services > Settings > Printer update > Check for update now

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Check the print settings. You may refer to this document to know the print settings on MAC

open the word document, go to header and footer tools > Look at the position bar and click the insert alignment tab.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307

I updated the firmware.

I am running the latest Mac OS

Print settings are set.

The document still will not print page numbers on my HP Officjet Pro 8600

I have used HP for years and wish to continue doing so.

Please help

HP Recommended

@Chris_of_Canada

According to the printer specifications, there is a default margin of 12 mm at the bottom of the page. Click here to check the printing specifications.

Try creating a custom paper size that may help. Refer to this document to know how. 

Try printing.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307

I appreciate your effort but this is a very disappointing workaround.

1. If create a custom document paper size just to print, I will have to create multiple documents for different printers. Every edit will force me to do likewisein two separate documents. I mentioned in my initial post that the Word Document page numbers print in my two other printers. Besides, the footer (Where the page number is generated) still will not work.

2. If I create a custom page size in the printer settings, I have to remember to do that every time I print a document with page numbers in a Word document. Many documents that I print are well over 20 pages. If I forget to do this, every time I print a proof, I waste a lot of time, money and resources. 

I want to stick with my HP printer but this is unacceptable.

Please help

Chris

HP Recommended

@Chris_of_Canada

I will have to do some research on this case and try it on a MAC in the lab. I will keep you updated. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307

I haven't heard back from you since January. Have you had any luck solving my problem?

Chris

HP Recommended

@Chris_of_Canada, apologies for the delay in response.

Have you tried printing using the 'pages' app and check if the issue persists?

Refer to this document to know how.

This issue is usually produced because the footer margin is too small and is positioning the page number outside the printer's printable area in MS docs.

Make sure you do a View > 'Header and Footer' and get into the Footer area before you place the page number.  If you place it outside the footer, in the document text area, then the page margin can't control it properly.

Kindly refer to this document for more info. 

Let me know how this goes. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.