Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently had to replace my old router; I now have a Linksys WRT 3200ACM. I have my Officejet Pro 8600 Plus connected via USB to my new router. I downloaded and installed the Linksys recommended software to allow printing via this USB connection -- I can print using my desktop (which is connected to the  router via ethernet cable (the connection is: modem to router via ethernet and router to CPU via ethernet)). The printing problem arises when I attemp to print from either of my two laptops ... they simply fail to recognize the printer; there were no such problems with the previous router (also a Linksys product). Any suggestions, advice as well as step by step directions as how to resolve this problem would greatly be appreciated. I brought this matter to Linksys' attention who informed me that they belive it's a printer issue and not their router.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@peter_retMar

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Connecting the printer and the router using a USB cable might not work as expected.
  • HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer is wireless capable. Connecting the printer wirelessly to your router may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Connect the printer to a wireless network

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

7. If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

8. Try to print.

Note: Make sure the printer and the computer are connected to the same wireless network.

This printer supports only a 2.4GHz network.

Step 2: Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver(if not already installed)

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You Kumar0307. I solved the problem. USB connection still works as I described. I learned that a wireless connection cannot be established for devices when router is connected (as was in my case, to my desktop) via ethernet. Once I disconnected the ethernet connection I had no problem(s) setting up the wireless network between my laptops and the printer. Everything is working the way I want -- desktop to printer via USB and my laptops print via wireless.

HP Recommended

@peter_retMar

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved.

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I hope your reply is a simple error/misunderstanding of my last post -- (... glad the issue is NOT??? resolved) ... the issue indeed is resolved as I explained.

HP Recommended

@peter_retMar

My bad, I Apologize. It was a typo error and I have corrected the same.

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.