Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 3831
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer is new. I have 3 PCs all running Windows 10 and none can print. One is an old Asus laptop, another is a brand new HP Pavilion laptop and the final one a Dell Desktop.

Ran the Scan and Printer doctor on the HP yesterday, on both laptops. The Asus failed to print any test page and said the software had to be reinstalled as there was a problem with it. The HP didn't print the first test page but DID print an internal test page and asked me to turn on network sharing and reboot. I printed all day on that PC without issue. Today, it won't print again and says the same errors but won't come back to life.

I tried the Dell. It said the same. I Googled it, have set the printer a static IP address, have turned on network discovery to share devices and restarted the print spooler. All these suggestions failed. I ran the Windows 10 troubleshooter which found no issues despite the printer showing as "requiring attention" and it printed my page! However, it refused to do so again and that was the only page that was printed today. I installed the Scan and Print doctor on that PC and it said to turn on network discovery (when I already had). It didn't print the first test page but DID print an internal test page. Ran it again and it too said there was a problem with the software and it has to be reinstalled. It didn't say this earlier and it printed from the same PC!

I have spent 4 hours trying to get 3 PCs to print and get 1 page from my effort. I have tried many of the "solutions" but cannot get it to work. I don't believe that reinstalling the new software on 3 out 3 PCs is going to make any difference and I'm beginning to think that when everyone says the printer doesn't work with Windows 10, they are right! Where do I go from here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I tried all the steps up to step 6 but to no avail. I bypassed Step 6 as I felt I had set the static IP address. As it turns out, there was more to it and this resolved the issue for me and I have had no issues issues since.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00113719

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Can you print using the USB port?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I haven't tried. I'll have to try and find one as all my USB leads have different shaped ends and the only one I could use is connecting the monitor.

HP Recommended

I tried all the steps up to step 6 but to no avail. I bypassed Step 6 as I felt I had set the static IP address. As it turns out, there was more to it and this resolved the issue for me and I have had no issues issues since.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00113719

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.