Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2620

Unable to setup wireless printing at all in fact.

It's a brand new printer (arrived this afternoon sealed from Currys/PCWorld, UK)...

To turn on Wi-Fi Direct, I'm following the very simple procedure from the manual (page 65), which states, "On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button ( ) and the Resume button ( ) together for three seconds."

But, when I do this, nothing happens - no Wi-Fi Direct icon appears at any point. I've also tried holding it down for longer to no avail.

Both the Power light & the Wireless button light is blinking before/whilst I'm doing the above though - does this make a difference?

I tried to troubleshoot the blinking lights using this guide, but didn't get anywhere: HP DeskJet 2600 Printers - Blinking Lights

What's going on please? Is the DJ 2620 even capable of Wi-Fi Direct?

I cannot setup up the printer using WPS either as I'm using a Tenda Nova Mesh Wi-Fi system (MW6/MW3), which doesn't seem to have WPS.

Btw, the only 3 items that display on the printer screen are: 1. the digit '0', 2. the wireless icon & 3. the wireless signal bars going back & forth - there is nothing else displaying on the screen at any time. Is this normal?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GaT7 

Please try

https://123hp-co.us/123-hp-com-setup-2620/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks Banhien, already tried the EasyStart method suggested there - can see the printer listed in the Macbook Pro setup window, but the printer refuses to connect. The same Macbook has been setup successfully wirelessly in the past (different ISP/router) with a HP 6800 series printer, but that has a proper display & options & I was able to do it on the 1st attempt.

When trying the Wi-Fi Direct method, I cannot even turn on the Wi-Fi Direct option in the printer (as mentioned in my initial post). I made a brief video of me attempting & failing at it - tried to upload the video here from my hard drive, but unable to do so.

HP Recommended

Update, getting somewhere on PC/Android...

I was able to switch on Wi-Fi Direct, but only after  installing the printer via USB on a PC - it automatically came on after setting up.

So the instructions in the manual for switching on (or off) Wi-Fi Direct using buttons on this particular printer (as mentioned in my initial post) are just plain wrong.

I was also able to print something wirelessly using HP's app with an Android phone, but haven't managed setting it up wirelessly on a Macbook/iPhone - yet. Will keep trying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.