cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Cannot turn on Wi-Fi Direct on HP Deskjet 2620

HP Recommended
Deskjet 2620

Unable to setup wireless printing at all in fact.

It's a brand new printer (arrived this afternoon sealed from Currys/PCWorld, UK)...

To turn on Wi-Fi Direct, I'm following the very simple procedure from the manual (page 65), which states, "On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button ( ) and the Resume button ( ) together for three seconds."

But, when I do this, nothing happens - no Wi-Fi Direct icon appears at any point. I've also tried holding it down for longer to no avail.

Both the Power light & the Wireless button light is blinking before/whilst I'm doing the above though - does this make a difference?

I tried to troubleshoot the blinking lights using this guide, but didn't get anywhere: HP DeskJet 2600 Printers - Blinking Lights

What's going on please? Is the DJ 2620 even capable of Wi-Fi Direct?

I cannot setup up the printer using WPS either as I'm using a Tenda Nova Mesh Wi-Fi system (MW6/MW3), which doesn't seem to have WPS.

Btw, the only 3 items that display on the printer screen are: 1. the digit '0', 2. the wireless icon & 3. the wireless signal bars going back & forth - there is nothing else displaying on the screen at any time. Is this normal?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
85,696 85,583 10,868 23,282
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GaT7 

Please try

https://123hp-co.us/123-hp-com-setup-2620/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Banhien, already tried the EasyStart method suggested there - can see the printer listed in the Macbook Pro setup window, but the printer refuses to connect. The same Macbook has been setup successfully wirelessly in the past (different ISP/router) with a HP 6800 series printer, but that has a proper display & options & I was able to do it on the 1st attempt.

When trying the Wi-Fi Direct method, I cannot even turn on the Wi-Fi Direct option in the printer (as mentioned in my initial post). I made a brief video of me attempting & failing at it - tried to upload the video here from my hard drive, but unable to do so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update, getting somewhere on PC/Android...

I was able to switch on Wi-Fi Direct, but only after  installing the printer via USB on a PC - it automatically came on after setting up.

So the instructions in the manual for switching on (or off) Wi-Fi Direct using buttons on this particular printer (as mentioned in my initial post) are just plain wrong.

I was also able to print something wirelessly using HP's app with an Android phone, but haven't managed setting it up wirelessly on a Macbook/iPhone - yet. Will keep trying.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation