Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp6500 officejet e709n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer carriage seems to be stuck on right side.  Normally when I open cartridge door,  carriage moves to center.   Now when I open door, carriage doesn't move from right side.    Tried to print test page,  display says "Printing" but nothing happens.  Cancelled test.  Display says "print cancelled".   When I press OK, display says "Busy".   After a few seconds, the "print cancelled"  returns.  When I try to move carriage manually,  it seems to be firmly stuck on right side.   What do you suggest?   Thanks,  Dave Kelch, retired HP

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey there! @flr, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand carriage on your printer is stuck on the right side.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Try few steps recommended below.

Perform a partial reset.

Use the following steps to reset the product.
Press the Power button () to turn on the product.
Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Wait 20 seconds.
Press and hold the # and 3 buttons on the product control panel.
While holding down these buttons, reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
After the product turns on, release both buttons. The product resets to the factory defaults.
Try to print a self-test report. See the steps on how to print a self-test report at the beginning of this document.
If these steps resolved the issue and the test page prints, there is no need to continue troubleshooting. Reconnect the USB cable, and then try to print again.
If the test page prints successfully, but you experience a different issue with your printer, go to HP Product Support Home Page, and then search for another document that relates to the issue you are experiencing.
   NOTE:
If the page displays in the wrong region or language, click the Region - Language link in the upper right corner of your browser. Then you can select the correct region and language.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot carriage jam issues.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the partial reset procedure suggested.   Now I get "General Printer Error 061011beb".   Carriage still won't move to center when I open the cartridge access door.   However carriage did move back and forth when I restored power to the printer after a two week absense when the printer was unplugged from power.  So, it appears that there is no mechanical problem with the printer.  (I always unplug computers, printers, TVs when I'm away because I live in central Florida where lightning storms are frequent and severe.  Surge suppressors are no guarentee here!  I know from experience!)

I can't remove and replace ink cartridges because the carriage won't move to the center.    Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Dave Kelch,  retired HP engineer

HP Recommended

I tried the partial reset procedure.  Now I get "General Printer Error 0x61011beb".  Print head still stuck on right side.

I can't change or reseat ink cartridges because print head is stuck on right side. 

I'm pretty good at disassembly and mechanical troubleshooting, so any suggestions  would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Kelch, retired HP engineer.

HP Recommended

Solution Found!!!  The cartridge carriage was stuck on the right side.  The carriage would not move to the center when the cartridge door was opened.   

I read a lot of forum entries and found one that recommended unplugging power cord from back of printer and waiting 60 seconds.  Then hold down #6 while plugging power cord back in.  Hold #6 down until printer restarts and then release.  Printer then goes through a very, very long initialization process.   Carriage now moves to center when door is opened and  it prints a test page just fine. 

This procedure evidently wipes out all of the configuration information loaded into the printer, so it requires starting from scratch to set up wifi etc.

If any one knows a simple way of setting up wifi, let me know.   Adding a laptop to my local wifi is easy.    Is there an easy way to add a printer?

HP Recommended

I went through this reset to no effect. The carriage is still stuck at the right end under the cartridge cover. It will back and forth about 1/2 inch. There are no paper jams. I am tempted to remove the stated cover.

HP Recommended

@Thebovees, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I'm afraid this seems like a hardware issue with the printer. If you have tried all the steps mentioned in this document and the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can't move carriage from right hand side.  Tried all resets ect.  No luck Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@gaynors, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document  'Carriage Jam' or 'E3' Error Displays and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.