2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cartridge empty error envy 5540

Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I brought this printer just over a year ago when my photosmart would not work with windows 10. The envy 5544 had the best review at the time. It worked at first with the ink it came with it, I proberbly printed 30 sheets until I needed new ink. I brought a shops own brand replacement as the hp was out of stock. The printer kept saying ink empty and wouldn't work! I then forgot about it as  didn't need to use it till this week. I brought a new hp cartridge to be sure but still getting same error. I've followed online advice of unplugging etc. Ive removed device and reinstalled drivers, checked for updates etc still same error. Its used wireless on network and I get same error on home comp,  laptop & mobile. Its now out of warranty but its printed 30 pages in total so its still new really! Any ideas please before I throw it away?! 

Thanks for any help.

Mandie

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,458 18,366 1,051 1,152
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mandie1

Welcome to HP support community.

If you have tried all the steps mentioned in this HP document:- Click here

And if the issue still persists, this could be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Mandie1
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for response.

However today just as I was reading your reply my partner was at the printer about to remove the cartridges again when it suddenly switched error message to say hp cartridge installed so 1 week after placing the cartridge in the printer its decided to recognise it and work so no need to try the fix! Fingers crossed it'll stay that way! Its just the wierdest printer ever - I think it maybe a transformer as it only decides to work when it wants too and throws up an error when it can't be bothered!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,458 18,366 1,051 1,152
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mandie1

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation