Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Cartridge error message

Envy 5540
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Printer has only been used half a dozen times.

Today it displayed the following message:

"Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge,

making sure it is correctly installed and then touch OK."

I have replaced the genuine HP62 colour cartridge with another genuine new HP62 cartridge.

The same error message is displayed.

I have cleaned the contacts on both the cartridges and the machine, using kitchen towell.

I have downloaded the latest software.

I still get the same error message.

Help me before I throw it out of the window! 

4 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11785 1113 2237
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Cartridge error message

@chippax,

Good Day.  A warm welcome to the HP community. Superb description and brilliant troubleshooting done. It is amply appreciated.

Let me gather some information for better clarity to assist you correctly:

• Did this happen following a power outage or surge?

I will be providing a roadmap with some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Let us try these steps:

Now check if the issue gets fixed. If it continues then from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/5447939/document/c047065... (HP ENVY 5540, DeskJet 5570 Printers - 'Cartridges Missing' or 'Ink Cartridges Problem' Message Displays) perform all the relevant steps.

• Follow instructions from step 1 to step 8 if it has not been done yet by you. Otherwise, ignore the steps performed and follow instructions that have not been done.

Now check for issue resolution. If it continues, replacing the faulty ink cartridge should fix it if the printer’s hardware is not faulty. Otherwise, the printer needs to be replaced. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box next to the bell icon in the upper right corner. This should help.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

chippax Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Cartridge error message

G'day David,

Thanks very much for your post, I didn't throw it out of the window........though it was close.

So I tried following your recommendations.

Please see my comments, below:

Let me gather some information for better clarity to assist you correctly:

• Did this happen following a power outage or surgeNo. This was the forst time the printer had been used in 6 months.There were no issues on previous use.

I will be providing a roadmap with some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Let us try these steps:

• Then update the printer’s firmware  via a USB cable by following instructions from this link: https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02919168This did not work for me. I downloaded the firmware fine.When I tried to start it it found the printer (via USB, as instructed) but then displayed the following messages:"Something seems to be wrong with your device.""Device is in error state and cannot be refreshed because of this.""Resolve the problem and try again."I could not get beyond this.However, in trying to do so I re-performed a hard reset, upon which the printer instructed me to do an alignment check. Despite not expecting it to work I tried it and to my surprise it printed.Not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth I thought I'd try and print the multi-page doc that I'd been trying to print when I initially fell foul of the "Remove and re-install" cartridge message and hey presto it printed!I don't really like not understanding a problem and it's resolution but I've not worked in IT for 40 years without learning when to give in, move on and say thank goodness that's sorted. 

So David thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to point me in the right direction. Who know's what fixed 

it, but whatever, life's too short.

For what it's worth subsequently I tried to run the firmware update again but I still get the "Device is in error state" 

messages. If you've got any advice for this feel free.

Cheers again,

@chippax.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11785 1113 2237
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Cartridge error message

@chippax,

I read your response comprehensively. Thanks for the update. Your terrific efforts and brilliant troubleshooting are immensely appreciated.

I will send you a private message with steps on how to perform a semi-full reset to factory settings for the printer in error state message.

This should correct the issue. Check your forum private message box for instructions in the upper right corner next to the bell icon.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11785 1113 2237
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Cartridge error message

@chippax,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. :) I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution.  

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation