Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
F4210
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I cannot print, I receive the following msg: waiting for printer to become available. I have updated the drivers but still remain the same msg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Gcolletti

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• To assist you better, how is the printer connected to the MAC?
  • Check the connection between the devices.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is connected by USB cable, I checked that it is working well when I connect to a Window PC. When connected to my MacBook Air I receive a message: waiting for printer to become available.

HP Recommended

@Gcolletti, thank you for the information. 

If you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus.

If the printer is detected by the MAC, click here to download the printer driver.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I need to use a hub because the new MacBook Air has a different plugin (smaller) to connect the Usb.

The printer is under port usb 2.0 Hub, that is under Bus USB 3.0

HP Recommended

@Gcolletti

Did you install the printer driver and check if that helps?

Check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

If the issue persists, run disk utility.

• Close all applications.
  • On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  • Double-click Disk Utility.
  • Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.
  • Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did it, but unfortunately I still receive the message “waiting for printer to become available”

the driver is the HpprinterDrivers5.1

the os is Catalina 10.15.4

the hw is MacBook Air (retina, 13-inch, 2019) model MacBookAir8,2

HP Recommended

@Gcolletti

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.