Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a new OfficeJet 6970 printer, which unfortunately has the following issue:

When using certain fonts, the printouts consist only of blank pages. If the font is used not at the beginning but later in the document, it will print normally up to this position, the rest is then cut off.

I've tried the following things, so far without any luck:

• printer reset
  • re-install printer driver
  • trying a few different other printer drivers
  • trying different software (Word, Excel, InDesign and Wordpad among others) on three different computers

Especially the fact that other drivers won't work and that the problem consists regardless of software or computer, lets me assume that the cause of this issue must be the printer itself or its firmware respectively. Only by creating a PDF first and then printing that, the fonts are printed as expected.

My previous Photosmart 7520 had no issues at all printing these fonts from any software.

I hope someone has an answer or possible solution to this problem.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Biffer,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I've been searching for a possible cause and solution for this issue and I am hitting a wall. However, a firmware update might be needed. Go to the Software and Downloads page, scroll down to Firmware, and then click Download.

Let me know if that works!

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

Hi,

please try a generic alternate drive deskjet 6980, this works most of the time.

this is a inbuilt driver.

refer to this doc on how to change to alternate driver.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796821

Hope this helps.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Unfortunately, the newest available firmware is already installed. And as I said, I tried several different printer drivers, none of which worked.

If requested, I could provide you with one of the affected fonts for you to test with your own printer (preferably also a 6970). That way we could find out if it is really a firmware problem.

HP Recommended
It's happening to me also. It's happening with the Helvetica font
HP Recommended

I am using the ALLURA font and before the update this new 8715 worked. Now my 6970 wont print it either. Choosing another font is not an option as this is my brands font. PLEASE HELP

HP Recommended

To those who are also ready to throw their printer out the window, you can select all (Ctrl + A) and then go to Edit, Create Outlines. This will trick your printer into thinking it is not text and it should print. MAKE SURE you don't save it and be sure to undo it when you are done printing or you won't be able to edit the text anymore. Or of course you can create a PDF and print it that way, but who has time to create a billion PDFs a day just to print!

Dear HP, those of us in the publishing business, i.e., those of us that use your products need a fix for this ASAP. This has been going on since April and it very much disrupts people's schedules.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.