Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading my Windows 10, I no longer have the capability to select color or black and white on the Print Quality tab section.  There is no selection for either, so unfortunately, I can't print in color from my PC, only from my phone.  I have tried everything I can think of without any luck.  I removed the printer drivers and downloaded the newest driver from the HP site and used the Print and Scan Doctor, but still nothing.  Any ideas how I can fix this?  Thanks!!!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Viv000

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue. 

Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 10 (64-bit).

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 

If the issue still persists, try built-in driver - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I had previously downloaded the HP Print and Scan Doctor without any luck, so I went ahead and removed the device, along with going to the run command, and downloaded the software and drivers from the link you provided.  I did a test page and it printed in color like it should, so I thought the issue was fixed, but when I went to print a second page with color, it was back to printing only in black and without the option to choose color in the print preferences again. 

When I removed the driver, it popped up with a message box asking if I wanted to remove the driver only or remove the driver and driver package.  I removed the driver only.  Should I have selected the driver and driver package?  Also, in the list of installed printer drivers, there was also a printer driver called HP Delivery Driver V4, in addition to my OfficeJet.  Should I have also removed that?  

Thanks so much for your help!

HP Recommended

@Viv000

Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi...this time when I went through the process and got to the point where I did the run command, the printer didn't show up, so I wasn't able to select Remove Driver and Driver Package.  I went ahead and reinstalled the driver software and it did the same thing.  It would print in color 1 time and then go back to printing only in black and white.

HP Recommended

@Viv000

What's the application that you are printing from? Does this happen with all the applications? 

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

From my desktop, the printer will only print in B&W from Word, Excel, and Pixlr.  However, I can print from my phone in those apps in color.  I checked the firmware directly from the printer and it says it has the most current update already installed.

HP Recommended

@Viv000

Create a new user account and install the printer driver - 

1. Tap the Windows icon.

2. Select Settings.

3. Tap Accounts.

4. Select Family & other users.

5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."

6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.

9. Tap the Windows icon.

10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.

11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.