Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print in color.

HP OfficeJet 4650 series

-Prints color test page with colors (so the printer CAN print in color and has plenty of ink)
-will not print a document in color. -have tried pdf, psd, jpeg
-have tried printing in Word, Photoshop, Photos, and Adobe DC

What I have tried:
-tried selecting and then unselecting print in grayscale

-unplugged printer, left overnight, plugged it back in
-in Photos, cannot change from monochrome to color "color was changed because of a conflict with another printer setting"
-also in Photos, borderless cannot change from off to on "On was changed because of a conflict with another printer setting"
-in "printing preferences" there is no option to print in color

-checked for Windows updates - am fully updated
-checked that I am using windows built-in drivers
-uninstalled printer, re-downloaded and re-installed HP printer full package software
-also tried this:
1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @tookeyg

Have you tried printing from a different application? Does the issue persist?

It sounds like a driver issue. Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware to the latest version.

Update the printer firmware using this link. Click Here

Also, Uninstall the printer software from the root level on the PC and install the full feature printer software. (Windows Only)

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties window.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer drivers using this link. Click Here

Once you install the printer, change the below settings to print in colour.

1.      Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
2.      Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing Preferences.
3.      Make your choices, and then click OK.
4.      Under option Print colour select colour, then the OK button.

Refer this article to know more information about print quality issues. Click Here

Let me know if this works! 
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Same problem, tried photoshop, word, illustrator, print from photograph... uninstalled, reinstalled, tried basic driver and to be frank i am ready to throw it up the wall... it has consumed so much of my working time and as of yet is unfit for purpose not to mention the sheer waste of ink and paper. When i first reinstalled it printed 2 colour pics before reverting to the same old 'Color was changed because of a conflict with another printer setting'... wish i'd never bought it

HP Recommended

Hi @donthedon

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and tried all the possible solutions, can HP provide a fix ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.