Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have owned my HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer for several years.  I set it up using the set up print cartridges which, when depleted were discarded.

I recently had to reset the printer.  Following completion of the reset the printer the message window said “Use the cartridges that came with the printer”.   I do not have the cartridges that came with the printer since they were used for the original setup and were depleted and discarded. 

I am a member of the HP Support Community as DRJOHN2019 and posted my problem.  I got a response from a HP Agent indicating that I could resolve the problem by entering the Systems Enable Disable Menu by using TUL, TLL, TUL, TUL and selecting Service Menu, selecting Resets Menu, selecting OOBE reset and selecting enable Trades.  However when I select the OOBE reset option the printer does not give me the option to enable or disable Trades, but powers off.

When I power up the printer with print cartridges that were working before the original reset, the printer begins the new set up by giving me the option to select Language and I select English and confirm, Select Country and I select USA, and confirm, select Date and Time and I confirm.  It then gives me the option to select “Product Tour” or “Continue Setup”.  When I select “Continue Setup”  and select General Setup”  the window says “checking printer” then revolves back to the message “Use the cartridges that came with the printer” aborting the setup.

When I open the cartridge door to reset the good cartridges and close the cartridge door the message on the screen is “One or more cartridges are missing or damaged.  Until cartridges are replaced make sure the printer is turned on to avoid damage to the printer.”  The display shows the need to replace all (C, M, Y, K) of the cartridges even though the cartridges that are inserted are all either new or were working prior to the original reset mentioned in paragraph 1 above.

When I repeat the steps noted above the same result is achieved.

It appears that the printer will not accept the replacement cartridges and will not complete setup without having the original set up cartridges that were used during the original set up many years ago and were depleted and discarded.

How can I get my printer set up for use without the need for set up cartridges I do not have?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DRJOHN2019

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@DrJohn2019, Welcome to HP Support Community!

This requires remote assistance. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.