Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Bought wife new Dell laptop. Same problem as everyone else. It asks for WPS pin for PRINTER. I entered WPS pin from router and it says that pin did not work. All of us Dell buyers can't be crazy. Computer is already connected to my wifi. What number on the printer could they want?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Setup & Protection2Go included in purchase. This process is underway now.
Good news: When i first started up new Dell I went to devices and printers even though I had added the HP Envy printer yesterday. Clicked on settings-devices/printers asked it to search for printers. The Envy 7640 print/scan/fax came up along with Envy 7640 printer. I clicked "add" to the print/ scan/fax Envy and it was added. Printed a test page wirelessly, so I assume the problem is resolved. When Setup & Protection2Go is complete, I'll try to print a document

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @csmith7101,

Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. Good day! 🙂 I reviewed the post about Wi-Fi connectivity issues with the printer that does not accept the WPS key. It will be a delight to assist you here. 🙂

Superb effort, splendid troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Do you get any error messages?
  • Does it go through the motions of connecting and fails to connect?
  • Did you change the router recently?
  • Has the printer ever connected to the WIFI network before?

For starters please check this link to get the actual WPS key from the router: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/document/c03112...

Please perform all the prescribed steps. There is an associated video also in this regard.

Then please visit this link for further support to set up the wireless printer on the network: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/document/c04325...

Then please use this link to configure the TCP/IP port: http://hp.care/2dxUJQo  Then check if this does the trick for you.

Also, if the router's WPS pin has a special character, the printer may not accept it. A workaround would be to try and change the router's WPS to a simpler one and check if the printer accepts it.

If it does not then the could be an issue with the printer communicating with the printer as the printer is not added to the router’s known list of devices. The router has a built-in firewall that protects the network from being hacked and it could be rejecting the printer. The router’s MAC filtering feature has to be tweaked to add the printer for it to recognize it which needs to be done by the router vendor.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello, David SMP.
Thanks for not treating me like an idiot as other support agents have done to people with similar problems. To answer your questions: No error codes, no attempt to connect, I entered correct WPS pin on bottom of router that I have not recently changed and my older hp laptop wirelessly prints like a champ via the relatively new printer. Will eat breakfast, follow your links and get back to you with the results. Problem could very well be with Dell, but we'll see. Have a query in their support system also, but no response as yet.
Thanks, Carlos
HP Recommended
Setup & Protection2Go included in purchase. This process is underway now.
Good news: When i first started up new Dell I went to devices and printers even though I had added the HP Envy printer yesterday. Clicked on settings-devices/printers asked it to search for printers. The Envy 7640 print/scan/fax came up along with Envy 7640 printer. I clicked "add" to the print/ scan/fax Envy and it was added. Printed a test page wirelessly, so I assume the problem is resolved. When Setup & Protection2Go is complete, I'll try to print a document
HP Recommended

Hi @csmith7101,

You've been awesome to work with. Brilliant effort. 🙂 Please try these steps and keep me posted. I read the post.  Thanks for the reply. Brilliant effort and great troubleshooting. Hats off you for that. 🙂  

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been commendable and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time once it gets fixed. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.