Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 4650
Other

My operating system is macOSsierra Version 10.12.6

I just received my insta ink.  The black cartridge won't work.  Keeps saying not installed properly.  I have went through all the steps listed and it still will not work.  No chat available and I can find an email link.  Please help.  It is a brand new printer with the first insta ink shipment. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fancyfrancy

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have a new HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer and the newly shipped black ink cartridge via the HP instant ink subscription does not work. There is an error saying the cartridge is not installed correctly. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

NOTE: Please skip any steps which you may have already tried.

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Also, review the following steps from this HP article:

• Step 2: Remove, inspect, then reseat the ink cartridges.
  • Step 3: Clean the electrical contacts.
  • Step 4: Remove, then reinsert the ink cartridges again.
  • Step 5: Clean the ink cartridge contacts again.

I have sent you a private message asking you for some information about your H instant ink account.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have gone through all the steps but it still won't work.

HP Recommended

Hey!

For questions about Ink Cartridges or Toner subscription plans, we recommend that you access the following site, it contains the main answers for most frequent questions about these plans: https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/l/v2 

We also have a post to help you, check it out: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.  

If you still have questions, you can chat with our Virtual Agent

We hope these options be of help, thanks for visiting the HP Support Community.

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.