Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, using HP genuine products.  Black ink ran out.  Replaced the cartridge, now won't print text. 

It does the black copy function but won't print.  it prints black for all the "tools->settings", including printer status report, printer quality report, clean printhead, align printer, clean ink smear.  but nothing from a word doc or excel or anything with text. 

Prints colors from the paint program but if i have a page of text it just spits out the page, doesn't even go thru the motions.   i've tried changing the color of the text but that won't print either.  it is printing pictures but won't print any text no matter the color.

tried with a different cartridge too.  i have not changed settings on the printer or any program i'm using...just changed the cartridge.

do i have a selectively bad printhead? help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@acr1127

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher, is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉 

As I understand the copier print black but it doesn't work elsewhere,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you reinstalled the printer drivers from root level?
  • Did you update the printer drivers from the HP website

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and OK - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

• Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@acr1127

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher, is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉 

As I understand the copier print black but it doesn't work elsewhere,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you reinstalled the printer drivers from root level?
  • Did you update the printer drivers from the HP website

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and OK - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

• Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks...I was able to find help elsewhere...I completely uninstalled the printer and all drivers/software from my PC then reinstalled.  That solved the problem.  

HP Recommended

@acr1127

Thank you for responding, that's amazing,

I'm glad it's worked out for you!

That said, I think we can both agree at this point that there are other people within the HP Forums community or otherwise, who could benefit from our conversation and if you don't mind, clicking on accept as solution on this post (as I have added the same steps that have resolved your concern, as well) it would be awesome.

That said, If you have any other concerns or queries, do not hesitate to ask as we'll be glad to help,

And have a good day ahead.

Stay blessed!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem but it seems to be more complicated.  I've followed all of the steps prescribed above.  Deleted all drivers and spooler.  New HP ink.  reinstalled the "recommended" driver package.     HP Officejet Pro 6960 will make copies in black ink but will not print in black from either of the two network connected computers.  I'm on the verge of replacing the printer but if it can copy in black, why not print in black from a file?  I'm hoping that someone has an idea on what to try next.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi @Art0011

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Which application are you trying to print from?

Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

​​​​​​​If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

Thanks for the response!  I spent an hour on the phone last night with HP support.  Gave them system control to run tests, install drivers, check settings, etc..  Problem persists.  I can copy black documents and get perfect black copies.  Can not print in black but I do get color.  I just reran the print doctor and ran another test page which again failed to print in black.  HP support said the printer is fine and the problem is likely MS Windows 10.  So.... I printed a black text file from my chromebook and I get the exact same problem.  Sounds like it's printing but there is no ink on the paper.   Officejet pro 6968 problem remains elusive.  I'm thinking it may require a replacement but it's a few months out of warranty.  

Any other ideas on what to try next?

Art

HP Recommended

@Art0011, as the printer is able to make copies in black, this is not a hardware issue with the printer.

To confirm, you may print a print quality report.

Go to setup on the printer screen > Tools > Reports

Did you install the printer using the Windows built-in driver and check?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've just run a print quality report which shows green blue red and yellow.  I've made a copy of a black document and the copy is in black.   Isnt there supposed to be black text on a print quality report showing printer information or defining the test patterns?

I've been through the setup with both windows and hp drivers.  same results.  Also remember that I tried to print from a chromebook with these same results.

😰

HP Recommended

@Art0011, the print quality report contains a block for black color as well. 

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for further assistance as a one on one interaction would be better for a faster resolution:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.