Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I make one copy of a document (by lifting the cover and placing original on the glass), my printer first "spits out" two sheets of paper and then it takes FOREVER just to make one copy.   ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found out the problem.  It was the paper size.  I didn't know you had to go through several steps after you place the paper on the glass.  My default is set for 4X6 paper for some reason, so I had to change it to letter size and plain paper, then it worked fine.  Please keep this in mind for other inquiries and thank you for your assistance.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SuePeace

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet and printer without any surge protector.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Click here for the steps.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Sandy,

Thank you for the suggestions.  Unfortunately both items did not work.  Unplugging power cord from rear; waiting 30 seconds; then plugging in to wall outlet (which I always have plugged into wall outlet directly).  Also, my printer firmware is up to date.

I tried copying a one page document and it does the same thing.  It spits out two blank pages first; and then it takes forever just to copy a one page. 

Sincerely, Sue Simon

HP Recommended

@SuePeace 

Thank you for the update.

Please perform the Sami full reset and check. For the steps, Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

When I press settings on my Printer Screen and look under Paper Size and Type  - it states 4X6 Photo Paper.  I'm thinking this is the problem, but I don' know how to change that on the printer screen.  Or is that just the default?

HP Recommended

I found out the problem.  It was the paper size.  I didn't know you had to go through several steps after you place the paper on the glass.  My default is set for 4X6 paper for some reason, so I had to change it to letter size and plain paper, then it worked fine.  Please keep this in mind for other inquiries and thank you for your assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.