Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Premium
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Ok. I've trawled through the forums and it appears HP users have had similar issues printing on custom paper sizes for YEARS. I still can't find a workable solution so I'm posting my own community post.

All I want to do is write some heartfelt letters to my loved ones and print them on some beautiful stationary. HP this really shouldn't be so difficult. 

My problem:

The printer hits me with the dreaded "paper detected does not match paper size or type selected" when I try to print my document on a custom paper size.

My computer specs:

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6

MS Word Version 16.16.20 (200307)

My printer specs:

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium

My custom paper size:

6.375 in WIDE x 8.5 in HEIGHT

What I've done thus far:

Created a custom page setup in MS Word matching the aforementioned size specs. 

Placed the custom stationary in the paper loading drawer and fit it with the sizing calipers. 

Selected the appropriate custom page setup before printing. 

To HP Support and other community members:

Anyone have any helpful solutions here? 

Thanks in advance!

-mchellagnarls

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Take a look at this link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

@mchellagnarls 

According to the Specifications, this printer supports Custom Paper Size forms.

Do create a custom form for your paper.

Category How to > Select Topic:  Print > Select Subtopic:  Instructions & Settings

Read document: Print Settings Guide (Mac)

calls

HP Document:

HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes

User Guide 

Load custom-size media - Page 27

It may be necessary

Check / change paper size settings on the Printer Control Panel - Page 18

That done, the printer might be able to handle the stationary (opened and flattened).

The problem with personal stationary is that - custom size aside - the paper itself needs to be something on which the printer can print.  For example, the paper cannot be too deeply colored, cannot be embossed, cannot have fancy edges, cannot be "foil" covered, and must be within the weight limits for "card" paper.

Cards
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)

It is not intended, in other words, that personal stationary of the type you describe is supported without meeting the criteria for the normal limitations on printing, including paper type, weight, structure (surface / edges), and color.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - N911

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Per my original post, I already did this. It did not solve the problem. Thanks for the help anyways. 

HP Recommended

@mchellagnarls 

That is unfortunate - it was somewhat of a long shot that printing on a pre-made card would work.  There are just so many variables that you cannot control using that sort of media.

If the custom size paper form appears to be supported, that is, you can select / set the size,

Try some regular paper cut to the size of your cards (slightly smaller and to the closest 1/8 inch, for example).

See if you can print on that as a single-sided, Word document created in that paper size.

Assuming it works, use that as in insert for your card.

You could also print a mixed content Word document on small photo paper and use that as an insert for the card.

For the moment, I am out of ideas - I don't speak Mac OS and it is likely I would missing something in the settings.

@8lives  -

Apologies for jumping in unannounced. 

I did not see you when I hit Post.

Any words of wisdom about Mac OS settings, custom paper form, and this printer?  Thanks.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yes. It is very frustrating.

A point of clarification in case it helps you troubleshoot other issues down the line: the stationary is not so much of a card as it is letter stock. So the top of the stock has my name embossed (so slightly as I can't see that causing any issues). The paper is a heavier weight (again not all that heavy) and it doesn't have any glossiness or foiling added. It's nice but not all that fancy, really. I did try a regular copy paper cut in the exact shape of my custom letter stock but I was met with the same "Paper mismatch error" alert on the printer's screen. 

To my understanding, the issue must be with the printer itself and some sort of internal auto-detect paper size feature. I reckon this may be a case of the machine being a bit too smart for its own good. For example, my father uses the same type of letter stock and prints on them just fine using the printer at his office, which is quite a bit older than the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium. Unfortunately, I can't access that considering I don't live in the same place as his office. 

Anyways. Thanks again for the help @Dragon-Fur I do appreciate your efforts. 

HP Recommended

That size is not available on the 8600 pull down paper sizes on my friends printer after I set one up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

@mchellagnarls 

I have reread the section in the User Guide for using Custom-size paper.  This time I am rereading the instructions in Page 42.

I am stuck on the idea that, given the paper is within the weight limitations for card paper, the media is selected in the print driver as "thick paper", "card",  of something appropriate that also allows custom size paper, the paper is sized to no more than one decimal point (for example 6.4 x 8.5 inches), the paper is white (or no more than off white in color)... that it should be possible to print on this paper.

My two biggest obstacles are the obvious - I don't speak Mac OS and I don't have an old HP 8600 printer.  This is, admittedly, enough that I am (as occasionally happens) out of my depth.

@8lives has apparent access to your setup and confirms the custom paper size is missing.

??

========================================================================

Calling for help!

@ShlomiL  Can you provide an answer to this?   I am stuck on the idea that there might be a way to get this to work.  Older Mac OS version and older HP 8600 printer, paper.

I cannot find anything in the Guide that suggests the Printer Control Panel is to be adjusted when the paper is changed -- but I am guessing there might be something "there" somewhere to allow the user to adjust the paper size / media on the printer - or at least select size "custom" to the printer will look to the driver for the exact size.

Paper is unknown weight and described as 

So the top of the stock has my name embossed (so slightly as I can't see that causing any issues). The paper is a heavier weight (again not all that heavy) and it doesn't have any glossiness or foiling added. It's nice but not all that fancy, really. I did try a regular copy paper cut in the exact shape of my custom letter stock but I was met with the same "Paper mismatch error" alert on the printer's screen. 

@mchellagnarls has stated that using regular paper cut in the size of the stationary results in the same mis-match error.

I am assuming the custom paper is being placed into Tray 1 (as necessary).

Am I missing something, or is this version of Mac OS and this printer incapable of printing a document on 6.4 x 8.5 inch paper?  @8lives tried it and could not find the custom size in the list (and I would expect saw the same mis-match error).

Thanks for any insight!

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for tagging me @Dragon-Fur , below are few additional steps to consider.

For the paperweight, it is crucial to know its thickness, as the error says it might occur due to the Paper Size or Type too, a too thick paper can trigger such an error too, the printer supports 163 to 200gsm as suggested by @Dragon-Fur above, I believe this might be crucial but we'll make sure of any possible settings first.

From the printer side, you should not change any settings from the printer front panel, however these can be adjusted from the EWS page of your printer, please clarify if the printer is connected with a USB or through a network connection

Make sure you load the cards properly, in an portrait orientation and not in a landscape by any chance.

From your Mac, please click the Apple icon and then System Preferences, from there select Printers & Scanners and select your printer.

Can you see the kind ends with AirPrint or not? to better understand what driver is being used and what steps might be tried.

Cheers,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Well, it has been a couple of days since this thread was new - we may have lost the customer to time and waning interest.

I admit I am stuck on the idea that the printer, at least, given the correct settings and a printable media, should be cooperative.

You have confirmed that part to the extent that can be done from this side.

I did miss proposing using EWS this time - EWS is one of my favorite methods to communicate with a printer and I rarely miss the opportunity to suggest its use.   Smiling. 

I really should break down and purchase a Mac so I can better understand the way the drivers work in that OS.  Smiling.

Thanks for the additional information!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.