Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Try running the utility to clean ink cartridges. Refer the document below:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04190374

Expand the selection for 'Mac OS X' and then scrolldown to Solution Five. Under this follow the step 3: Clean cartridge using an automated tool.

Now check if black is printing fine. You can examine the test page that prints for confirmation.

Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs up icon in the post
Please mark reply as "Accept as Solution" if it solved the problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply,

I would like to understand if the printer is printing black as a standalone machine.

Can you try making a black copy with single cartridge(only black).

if this works then your black cartridge is working fine. If that fails then we need to troubleshoot for Cartridge or Printer failure.

I would also like to confirm that you are trying to print a document which has black and color and it prints only color leaves black as blank.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Deskjet 1050 j410 will not print black ink.  I have tried troubleshooting but to no avil.  Ink cartidge level is good and is original cartridge. 

HP Recommended

Would you walk me through the troubleshooting steps you have suggested in this post?

HP Recommended
Hey,
Im having the same issue, I bought 2 new original ink cartridges and it still won't work, I tried cleaning the ink head, reached level 3 cleaning, wasted half of the ink and still wouldn't work.
I tried resetting the printer, still no results.
I also tried cleaning the ink head with soft material, still no results!!!
PLEAAASE HELPP, this is sooo frustrating!!!
HP Recommended
And the issue is from the printer itself, because I tried to print the alignment page and tried copying papers, no use... All settings are correct, grayscale is off, and nos software issues 😕
HP Recommended

Have tried all of the above and checked all my settings - brand new in-date HP cartridge not printing black ink.

Troubleshooting links in the Online Manual, send me to blank web pages, including the Windows 10 compatability check link.

Any further advise please?

HP Recommended

My Deskjet 1050 J410 also is not printing black. I have no idea what caused this as it happened quite a while ago. Maybe it was due to unplugging the printer and moving it or replacing the black cartridge, but that's pretty sad if so.

I've aligned and cleaned the cartridge to no avail.

I've put a document with black and color text under the flip-up top and hit the "Copy" button and it also came out without black printed.

I tried the "reset your printer" steps that were first posted in response to this question and that did not work either.

The black cartridge is a genuine black HP cartridge.

I was tempted to just buy a whole new printer recently (came across a good deal on a black and white laser printer). Ugh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.